chances of getting a EU passport...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• chances of getting a EU passport...

i am trying to get an EU passport. my parents are not born in europe but my dad has a grandmother born in france and a grandfather born in norway. i am trying to get this passport in order to recieve a work permit in england. what are the chances of me recieving a passport or does anyone have any suggestions?

i am trying to get an EU passport. my parents are not born in europe but my dad has a grandmother born in france and a grandfather born in norway. i am trying to get this passport in order to recieve a work permit in england. what are the chances of me recieving a passport or does anyone have any suggestions?

Comment

If you have a EU member citizenship (=passport) you don't need a work permit for any other EU member state.

If your birthparents are not citizens of any EU state, it's very unlikely that you can just get derivative citizenship from a grandparent.

If you're a U.S. citizen at this time, you need to renounce your U.S. citizenship to optain a new one at this stage. For EU citizenships, you usually need to be a resident of 8 years and up or be the spouse of a citizen for a certain amount of time etc.

Comment

No you dont have to renounce US citizenship to be a dual national and I would advise noone to renounce. You may be able to get citizenship in either France or Norway but you will have to find out the citizenship laws of both countries as relates to grandparents.

Comment

I have a suggestion: don't bother coming to England. It's ****.

Comment

Call embassies of France and Norway. They will tell you exactly what you want to know. Btw, Norway is not in the EU and won't help you much if you want to work in England.

Comment

I used to be an EU nationality consultant. The only two countries in the EU which allow acquisition of nationality via grandparent are Ireland and Italy. Oth4er than that unless one of your parents was born in the EU (or already have an EU passport) you're going to have to find another avenue.

" Norway is not in the EU and won't help you much if you want to work in England."

HOWEVER Norway is covered under the European Economic Area (EEA) agreement which DOES grant reciprocial EU-EFTA working rights. Should be OK for entry to Britain.

Comment

Spursgirl79

oooooo! do we have an attitude against the kingdom ?

Comment

HOWEVER such a permit would have very limited privileges, e.g. you could not take advantage of domestic tuition rates...

Comment

HOWEVER such a permit would have very limited privileges, e.g. you could not take advantage of domestic tuition rates...

ne ne ne!!!

Comment

Lost in us: if you can keep your 'natural' (or original) citizenship after you obtain your U.S., the U.S. will not approve of it but will accept it (since some nations do not allow their citizens to ever renounce citizenship).

Current U.S. laws do not permit a U.S. citizen to gain another foreign citizenship at any time AFTER naturalization or 18 yrs. of age for natural (born) U.S. citizens.

Comment

<<Spursgirl79

oooooo! do we have an attitude against the kingdom ?>>

Not really, it's just the weather was particularly bad when I replied to that post, and I would like nothing more than to leave cold wet Britain and move to the US permanently. I don't understand these people who are US citizens and want to move this way across the Atlantic: you don't know a good thing when you have it!

Comment

spursgirl....The Us has as much rain as the uk. The difference is the heat is more and the cold is more. I live in the Midwest and some days(like today) its dreary and grey.

The dual nationality question..well what the US doesnt know cant hurt them. There are many US citizens who have Uk citizenships due to marriage to a UK spouse. The Uk doesnt obligate the USC to renounce citizenship and so even though in the law it is not smiled upon..it does happen.

Comment

Oh, I know you get rain in the US too, I've lived in various parts of the US for about 3 years. And after last year, I'm not sure I could ever live through a New York winter again! But the difference is that, in the place I want to live (Southern USA), you get a lot more bright sunny days than you ever get here, even in the winter. And it's not just the weather... it's Nick at Nite, it's Mountain Dew, Disney World, Walmart, Oreo Cookies, nice beaches, Las Vegas.. the list is endless!!!

Comment

yes and you get four hurricanes in the space of 2 months. I used to live in Florida and I loved it for the first 2 years then I got sick of the perpetual sun and phoney smiles. Did you know that Florida is the number 1 state of shaken baby syndrome and the highest amount of lightning strikes?I used to say that it was the ever lasting heat that drove people to commit crimes through frustration(joke).
                              I love NYC its My favorite city in the world. But the best time there was in the fall. We get winters here and they ****. Its october and we are freeeezing over here.

Comment

Working...
                              X