Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• question as an F1 student

Hello all,

I don't know who remembers me (besides Jeanine, who I already know personally) but anyway, I applied for a university to the US and I even started my studies in the fall of 2008. However, I've got an email at the beginning of February that my mom is dying, so I had to return home which I did on the 10th of February. At the end of March, I've got an email from our school SISS (services for international students and scholars) that they terminated my SEVIS record which is fair, I believe. Now, I've read at USCIS site that if I stay out of class for 5 months, but not more, than all I need is a new I-20 as well as pay the SEVIS fee, but no need to apply for a new visa (only if I stay at home more than 5 months). My question is that to which date the 5 months start to accumulate? From the sharp, exact day I left the US, or from the day my SEVIS record was terminated? I know there's only one month difference between these two for me, but as my mom is dying, it is extremely important to know for me. Please, if anyone has a clue about this, I would really appreciate it!
    Thank you very much!
    Hajnalka

Hello all,

I don't know who remembers me (besides Jeanine, who I already know personally) but anyway, I applied for a university to the US and I even started my studies in the fall of 2008. However, I've got an email at the beginning of February that my mom is dying, so I had to return home which I did on the 10th of February. At the end of March, I've got an email from our school SISS (services for international students and scholars) that they terminated my SEVIS record which is fair, I believe. Now, I've read at USCIS site that if I stay out of class for 5 months, but not more, than all I need is a new I-20 as well as pay the SEVIS fee, but no need to apply for a new visa (only if I stay at home more than 5 months). My question is that to which date the 5 months start to accumulate? From the sharp, exact day I left the US, or from the day my SEVIS record was terminated? I know there's only one month difference between these two for me, but as my mom is dying, it is extremely important to know for me. Please, if anyone has a clue about this, I would really appreciate it!
    Thank you very much!
    Hajnalka

Comment

From the date your student status ended, which is the day you left the U.S.

Comment

Thank you for your reply federal...that's what I thought, but then I wasn't sure, as I was still taking my winter quarter courses when I left, and I completed them via internet. And our spring quarter started on the 26th of March, hence my SEVIS record was terminated on the 27th. So, that's why I wasn't sure from which day I should start counting my 5 months...thank you again, federal. I wish you all the best!
        Hajnalka

Comment

Hajnalka,

Since you've already gotten your reply, I just want to add I'm very sorry to hear about your mom. Bless you and your family during this trying time and best of luck to you in the future.

Comment

Working...
          X