• Show
Clear All

• amnesty 2006?????

Hey people !

Is there any amnesty on this year?

Hey people !

Is there any amnesty on this year?

Comment

No. The last "one-time-only" amnesty was in 1986. USCIS is still trying to adjudicate cases from that amnesty...twenty years later.

In his State-of-the-Union Speech in January, 2006, President Bush said that he was opposed to amnesty. The American people, also, are opposed to amnesty...and they're also opposed to the President's proposed guest-worker program.

Comment

si is there will be some amnesty on this year or not?

Comment

No.

Comment

Of course there will be legalization this year for hard-working illegal aliens.
            American people support the President's and backed by National republican Convention guest worker program.
            Right now the discussion on this is scheduled on March 21st.
            Just wait 3 more months and you will be legal.

Comment

The question of amnesty will depend entirely on how one defines "amnesty." SunDevil seems to connect anything with a guest worker program with amnesty. Most of what a guest worker program will do will not be amnesty. However, there may be some legislation to include either minors who have just turned legal age or one that includes illegal aliens based on either gainful employment or married to a LPR or US Citizen. It is till up in the air on this since both the Senate and House of Representatives are far from having any continuity on the issue. This is besides what President Bush may want in the legislation.
              "Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." John Adams on Defense of the boston Massacre

Comment

Dream on maria.

Comment

Hudson: Please explain to me, exactly, why a guest-worker program is not - in any meaningful way - an amnesty?

The American people are well aware of the semantic games being played by their elected "representatives" in Washington, D.C.

Unless you deport illegal aliens, you have - in reality, if not in name - created a situation akin to amnesty. Please stop trying to play semantic games. Most of us are smart enough to see through them.

Representatives Tancredo (R-Colorado) and Hayworth (R-Arizona), among others, deserve our support for the vehement opposition to any amnesty proposal.

Comment

Yeah, Maria...dream on, and on, and on. If anyone actually listens to Maria, they're almost as stupid as she is.

Comment

why a guest-worker program is not - in any meaningful way - an amnesty?
                      An amnesty is an automatic path to permanent residency like 1986.

Guest worker program new visa does not lead to automatic green card after 6 years. The hard working people will have to either return home or stand in the same lines as others. They will have to pay a penalty for over-stay and since the would pay a penalty it would not be cinsidered an amnesty.

The whole idea that if somebody over-stayed their visa he would not be able to adjust their status was stupid and lead to increase of number of illegal employment in US.

Guest worker program will aloow the people to take the jobs legally in US.

Comment

why a guest-worker program is not - in any meaningful way - an amnesty?
                        An amnesty is an automatic path to permanent residency like in 1986.

Guest worker program new visa does not lead to automatic green card after 6 years. The hard working people will have to either return home after 6 years or stand in the same lines as others. They will have to pay a penalty for over-stay. Since they pay a penalty it would not be considered an amnesty.

The penalty for breaking the broken laws should be just cash penalty not deportation or 10 years bar.

The whole idea that if somebody over-stayed their visa he would not be able to adjust their status was stupid and leads to increase of number of illegal employment in US.

Guest worker program will allow the people to take the jobs legally in US which is not possible right now – there is not possible to grant 12 milions work visas by the current broken system. US economy needs those 12 millions of people but was unable to obtain papers for them.

White House, Democrats and Republican National Convention supported the guest worker program and they will make it happened this year. Republicans just want to have an extra 12 millions voters after 10 years and they want to win elections after 10 years i.e. after the 12 millions of people become citizens.

Comment

Maria: Most illegal aliens can't even spell the word "visa," never mind actually ever had one in their possession.

Comment

I can

Won 2nd place in a spelling bee contest in 5th grade. Only 5 months after coming here not knowing much english.

Comment

A big issue with INA is its complexity. INA is the fruit of many years of amendments, modifications and alterations to statutory regulations. There's many public officials who don't know about all the amendments, let alone fundamental opinions by the BIA, Court of Appeals and even the Supreme Court.
                              Another factor that complicates things is the presence of some "old fashion" statutes inside the law and the disparity in the adjudication of benefits. There's people who can't get a visitor's visa if their lives depended on it, not even for very basic purposes because of the economic and political situation of their home countries. But there's also many others who enjoy a "never-ending" visa. This is the class of non-immigrants known as "surefire tourists". They have dual nationality and usually a visitor's visa legally obtained and stamped to the passport of one country but also have a valid passport from another country who is a participant of the Visa Waiver Pilot Program. This is clearly a very select group of individuals who get to enjoy these benefits not based on personal qualifications but on the country of citizenship.
                              Personally, I do not agree with amnesty, I do not agree with the Cuban Adjustment Program, I do not agree with the Nicaraguan Adjustment or any other category of "special immigrants". I only support family unification and for a very selected group of potential LPR's (and only under a statutory period of probation that wouldn't end until the naturalization of the immigrant). I would also double the marriage "probation period" from 2 years to 4 years to reduce fraud. I'm not very fond of student visas or permits either.
                              That being said, I also believe in a guest worker program but a very restricted one. I believe in the use of military resources along the border and the actualization of the infrastructure used by Border Patrol to enforce immigration law.
                              Immigration reform is necessary, but passing harsh legislation that would inevitably trigger amnesty in order to "start with a clean slate" is not the way to solve problems.

Comment

Working...
                              X