Where the marriage takes place

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where the marriage takes place

Hi, this kinda goes along with some other questions I asked but I was wondering if anyone can tell me how the best way to go about this is. I am canadian on an H1 ....my fiance is an american citizen. We want to get married in Canada but live in the United States. In the future we may want to live in Canada....either way we don't want to ruin this option because of how we get married. I was wondering if anyone knew how marriage licenses worked? Maybe if one is accepted or if we would have to get both? Not sure please advise!

Hi, this kinda goes along with some other questions I asked but I was wondering if anyone can tell me how the best way to go about this is. I am canadian on an H1 ....my fiance is an american citizen. We want to get married in Canada but live in the United States. In the future we may want to live in Canada....either way we don't want to ruin this option because of how we get married. I was wondering if anyone knew how marriage licenses worked? Maybe if one is accepted or if we would have to get both? Not sure please advise!

Comment

Don't chance it, get married here in the US, file and adjust. Get married in Canada later.

Just an opinion

Comment

I don't know how it works in Canada but I'm from France and we have to get our marriage transcribed. That involves more paperwork. Call your embassy and ask.
        I would say, get married in the country you want to live in NOW. If you get married in canada, he's going to have to file paperwork to get you in the US.

Best of luck!!

Comment

Marriage certificate issued by any recognized authority is acceptable in both US and Canada.

You may find the following links helpful:

http://www.isso.cornell.edu/immigration/marryusc.html
          http://www.visapro.com/Green-Card-Fa...US-Citizen.asp

Paul @ HelpDesk

Comment

I appreciate the help everyone! Thanks a ton!

Comment

Working...
            X