Can a USC marry a J-1 ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can a USC marry a J-1 ?

Hey, Im posting this on behalf of my gf. She is head over heels in love with a man and he works in USA on a J-1 Visa. He told her that even if they got married on J-1 he still has to go back to his country for 2 years. Is this true or is he just bs'in her. Im just tryin to make sure for her own benefit, coz I dont know if hes lying or if this is really true. I know people that were on H visa, F visa, that married no problem and stayed. Any Info would be gladly appreciated. thx.

J-1 visas have a two-year home residency requirement. This means that he is legally required to return to his country of origin when his authorized stay in America ends.

Comment

She can marry anyone she wants.

IF he has J visa WITH 2 yr. restriction, guess then he has to file for waiver with State Dep.
      Though, I am not sure about whole procedure, wheter spouses of USC qualify for such waiver and etc.

Good luck!

Comment

I had J1 visa and a 212 restriction and I get married before my visa was expire.You need to file for a waiver for that restriction, takes time, maybe 6 months, but the first step is go to your embassy in USA and ask for info about that waiver. by the time you should ask for a case number at the department of state. I did it my myself and if you have more questions let me know.

Comment

Working...
        X