selective services

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• selective services

Can someone help me out from this selective service matter. I am 30 years old and did not registered to selective service. I lived here during the the 18 and 26th of my birth day. I had no idea about registring to selective service till I filed my N400 last year. My interview is schedule on January 12 on Wednesday. I have no idea what to do on this matter. I am very confused. Anyone else had the same kind of experience before please share that with me.
    Thanks for the help

Can someone help me out from this selective service matter. I am 30 years old and did not registered to selective service. I lived here during the the 18 and 26th of my birth day. I had no idea about registring to selective service till I filed my N400 last year. My interview is schedule on January 12 on Wednesday. I have no idea what to do on this matter. I am very confused. Anyone else had the same kind of experience before please share that with me.
    Thanks for the help

Comment

What was your status when you were in the US between your 18-26th birthday? If you were a lawful nonimmigrant, you were not required to sign up. If you were unlawfully here or you were an immigrant (in the USCIS sense) then you would have had to sign up.

Comment

Hello
        I hate to be a bearer of bad news, but if you lived here between the ages 18-26, you are required to register whether you are a legal or illegal immigrant.Selective Serices registration is mandatory .However, the only exception is if you prove that you were unaware of the requirement and did not receive any notification from the Selective Service. That is a tough burden to overcome, because when you become an immigrant( Green Card holder) or you get a driver's licence, or register for financial aid in college, the Selective Serice sends you a notice to register. So you may have to check with the Selective Service to see whether they ever sent you a notice to register. If they did and it was not returned to them as a wrong address, then you may have a chance. If they did and it was not returned to them, your petition will be denied. So call Selective Service and verify.
        Since you said that you are 30 years old, you may have a problem. You still within the 5 year good moral character requirment to become a citizen. Failure to register for Selective Service is proof of lack of good moral character.
        Your 5 years will expire when you turn 31 years old. Sorry mate.You got a tough one there. If you need more info let me know

Comment

I did contact to Selective Services at the time when I was filling N400, that was the first time I knew that there is a Selective Service requirement, They sent me a letter stating that they never sent me any letter to register and it is late now because I am older than 26 now. They wrote in the letter that it is upto uscis that they accept this reason or not.

Comment

Spy
            I was 23 years old when I got my green card.

Comment

I came to the US when i was 20 and i'm waiting for my AOS, I'm 26 now so does that mean that I have to register with the selective service in order for me to get citizenship in 3 years? if yes how can I contact the selective service and what is it exactely? my thought is military draft, thank you.

Comment

ALL LPR's and US Citizens between certain ages must register for the draft (selective service). Non-immigrants here on valid visa's do not (ie: TN) - but once your LPR is approved, you MUST register with Uncle Sam.

At least that is how I understand it.

ARQU

Comment

You can sign up and read more about selective service here.

http://www.sss.gov/

Comment

If you are 26 then you don't need to register. Only 18-25 year olds have to.

Comment

Sami
                      take the letter with you to the interview. As long as you can demonstrate what the INS calls
                      " an attachment to the Constitution and favorable disposition towards Good Order and Happiness" Section (8.CFR 316.11)

Also you may read this statute which may aid you with the issue. See Section 12 (g) of the Miltary Service Act ( 50 App.USC .462(g) which reads as follows:
                      (g) A person may not be denied a right , privilege or benefit under federal law by reason of failure to submithimself to registration under Section 3 (of the Miltary Selective ServiceAct) if
                      (1) the requirement for the person to register has terminated or become inapplicable to the person and
                      (2) the person shows by preponderance of evidence that the failure to register was not a "Knowing and wilful failure to register".

You fall within the 2 categories. You cannot register now, because you are over 26, therefore all you have to prove is that the failure was not wilful.
                      good luck

Comment

I checked the I485 form and it clearly states that by signing this application you agree that INS will submit your information to the selective service department, I applied last year when I was still 25 for AOS, now I'm 26 and still waiting for decision so they should have done it already.

Comment

Thank you Leagle Nut, you made me feel better, now i can go to the interview tommorrow with all of my corespondence. Any more advice.
                          thanx again

Comment

Wow I was never questioned about the affidavit for selective service. I just gave the letter from the selective service and it was enough for the officer.
                            it was wonderful experience for my n400 inteview. It was quick I arrived in newark at 9:30 morning 30 minuts earliear than my appointment. Officer called me at 11:30 am. I was inviewed for only 8 minuts. she officer named French ask me 6 questions which are as followed
                            What the highest court of U.S
                            Who was the president during the civil war
                            What are the three branches of our government
                            What is the introduction of constitution called.
                            Who becomes president if the president and vice president should die.
                            which is the 49th and 50th state of U.S

And then I had to write
                            I read the news paper this morning

Then she gave me a letter of confirmation that I have passed the test and She gave me N445 to fill for Oath ceremony. I was called in about 30 mins. Officer took the form and gave me 2 certificate to sign. I had to go room# 1625 on 16th floor. there were 106 people to take Oath. That was it, I went the next day which is today to get my passport in New York and got it same day.

Comment

sami,
                              How do you get your passport on the same day in NY? Where did you do it and how much?

Comment

Working...
                              X