out of status who married Green card holder

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• out of status who married Green card holder

hi im out of status here in the US and got married with green card holder for about a year..what should we apply so i can be on status..thank you

hi im out of status here in the US and got married with green card holder for about a year..what should we apply so i can be on status..thank you

Comment

Hi Friz and welcome,

How long before your spouse can apply for Citizenship?

Comment

shes been here for 3 years already.. so i guess 2 year??

Comment

It's going to be much a much faster and smoother process if she is a citizen - hate to be the bearer of bad news. How did she receive her permanent residency? Through a relative?

Comment

yes..shes been green card holder for 3 years.

Comment

Who petioned for her, Friz?

Comment

her grand mother petioned her father,and my wife was under age..she came becuz she was under age wen here grandma petioned her frather.sorry i dont know what is term.

Comment

The process is still going to be easier when she gets her citizenship. Did you come to the US on a visa, or entered without inspection? If you came on a valid visa, the process will go much smoother. If you EWI'd, she will have to file a hardship waiver and you will need to go back to your country of origin for this process.

Comment

i came here as a k2 visa and after filling for adjustment of status..to make this story short, they denied the applcation.and the officer said that i am not eligible.i enter US before i turned 21..i have already an alien number,i was able to apply SSN and my EAD.but now im out of status..

Comment

There are other people on this site with more knowledge than I, Friz. Check back tomorrow and see if there are other replies. I still think your best chances are when your spouse gets citizenship, but maybe others have more information. Good luck to you!!!!!

Comment

thank you so much for your help.

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by friz:
                          thank you so much for your help. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You're most welcome.

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by friz:
                            im out of status here in the US and got married with green card holder for about a year..what should we apply so i can be on status.. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>even if your wife (as LPR) petitions for you now, you can't get any benefits ( status, EAD...) before she becomes USC or the petition ( priority date) becomes current (an immigrant visa number is available to you). In any case, for a person in similar situation (out of status, overstay) to be able to adjust status, spouse has to be USC.

However

i came here as a k2 visa and after filling for adjustment of status..to make this story short, they denied the applcation.and the officer said that i am not eligible. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
                            K1 and K2 are tricky visas and the law says that a person who entered as K1/K2 may ONLY adjust status based on original petitioner. Meaning - most likely, you as K2, can't adjust status in the USA on any other grounds.

I don't know when you were denied AOS and if it make any sense to fight that now... Your only option may be consular processing - getting an immigrant visa in your home country.

Now, there is a confusion about when K2 ages out. Does K2 have to be under 21 at the time he/she receives visa, enteres the USA, files for adjustment of status or at the time of the interview. Most cases go by: person has to be under 21 at the time of the interview to be eligible. One court rulling said: under 21 at time of entry... When in the process you turned 21? Did you fight your case?

Have you ever left and re-entered the USA since your initial entry as K2?

Only a good lawyer can help figuring out if there is a way for you to adjust status in USA without first leaving.

Comment

Originally posted by:aneri
                              When in the process you turned 21? Did you fight your case?
                              -----------------------------------------------------------
                              no i was below 21.and we did not fight the case because my mom dont know anything about that.
                              /////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
                              Originally posted by:aneri
                              have you ever left and re-entered the USA since your initial entry as K2?
                              ------------------------------------------------------------
                              no..

Comment

Working...
                              X