Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what do I need? My son and his girlfriend want to come to the US to live here for 1 year

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what do I need? My son and his girlfriend want to come to the US to live here for 1 year

My son would like to come to live with us. He wants to bring his girlfriend along. BUT, they want to have the option to go back to Germany in case they don't like it here or they can't adjust. I know its not a problem for me to file papers for my son (eventhough I'm not happy with the thought of spending money to the INS and after 1 year he might go back), but I also know that it will take much longer than 1 year for him til he gets his greencard.
    I know for sure, that they don't get married just because of the immigration law and I fully agree with them.
    The problem I am facing is, I am 100% positive that he wont come without his girlfriend, but I have no clue what kind of papers I need for her.
    She is a Kindergarten-teacher, but I don't think that a Kindergarten is looking for a german employee to teach german.
    They went to the Consulat in Frankfurt, Germany and were told that I would have to file for their papers, but they did not say which kind of papers.

Are there some kind of visas which are good for 1 year including a work permit?

Any help/advise/thoughts are greatly appreciated.

My son would like to come to live with us. He wants to bring his girlfriend along. BUT, they want to have the option to go back to Germany in case they don't like it here or they can't adjust. I know its not a problem for me to file papers for my son (eventhough I'm not happy with the thought of spending money to the INS and after 1 year he might go back), but I also know that it will take much longer than 1 year for him til he gets his greencard.
    I know for sure, that they don't get married just because of the immigration law and I fully agree with them.
    The problem I am facing is, I am 100% positive that he wont come without his girlfriend, but I have no clue what kind of papers I need for her.
    She is a Kindergarten-teacher, but I don't think that a Kindergarten is looking for a german employee to teach german.
    They went to the Consulat in Frankfurt, Germany and were told that I would have to file for their papers, but they did not say which kind of papers.

Are there some kind of visas which are good for 1 year including a work permit?

Any help/advise/thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Comment

More information is needed. What is your status?

Comment

Agreed more info on your status would be needed to recommend for your son;s visa. As far as his girlfriend is concerned...emplymnet based or student would be the only option. Has she considered an au pair position in a household?

Comment

Thanks for your reply.

Please take a look as far "my" status goes.

http://discuss.ilw.com/eve/forums?q=...4126010353&p=1

Swissnut: Au pair >>> does that mean, she will get a work permit for "one perticular family" only? She can't work as au pair plus have a second job somewhere else?

Comment

Boy, you are sure making *us* work so we can help *you*. After reading through the numerous posts on the link you provided (5 pages worth!!!), I conclude that you are a German national married to a USC and that you and your husband moved back to the U.S. (after living in Germany for many years) without the proper paperwork (but you met a friendly Customs Official at the POE who let you in on a tourist visa even though you had immigrant intent) but you have now applied through the proper channels for permanent resident status. You received EAD and were fingerprinted last December (2002) but you let your EAD lapse and your expired driver's license was confiscated in September (2003) when you tried to apply for advance parole (which was denied). You are currently waiting for the interview through the Tampa office.

A little friendly advice, please don't make people on this board research your status by looking through old posts - if you want help, just provide the short version of your status like I just did! Did I get it right? Once we know your history then we can respond to your initial question. This isn't an interrogation. We are here to help you.

Another question. Am I to assume that your son is not the son of your USC husband?

Comment

lol ...sphyrapicus: you are correct and I apologize for being lazy (boy, you have a difficult name to write

Yes, my son is from a different marriage, but I think this should not be a problem, right?
              Could you, after reading my 5 pages about my status, give me some advise on my issues?

Thanks

Comment

esorena,

It is my understanding that you are unable to do anything to bring him over until you have permanent resident status. Even then, the wait would be so long that it would be years from now (and by that point your son will probably be married). But, I am not the best person to seek advice on this issue. Hopefully others will respond.

As for my name, blame it on Linnaeus.

Comment

esorena,

Is your son over 21 yet? If not, there is another option. See http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...hreadid=196731

Comment

Yes, my son is 21, he'll be 22 next year in June. Why do you think I can't do anything? He was 6 years old when I married my US husband.

Thanks for your reply.

Comment

As a permanent resident you would file I-130 (permanent resident filing for an unmarried son or daughter over 21). Current processing date with Texas Service Center is October 3, 1998 (5 year wait).

But, if I were you, I'd post an inquiry to britishexpats using the link above since they are discussing this very issue right now on that board.

I'm afraid I can't help you any further.

Comment

Thanks anyway. Hope somebody else here has an idea.

Merry Christmas

Comment

Working...
                        X