Canadian wants to know how to get a working visa

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canadian wants to know how to get a working visa

Hi I know you will be busy tonight so I will break down my question. It's quite simple.

I am a Canadian citizen looking to live and work here in the United States because I am engaged to an American citizen.

I have been to a few job interviews where they are interested in me working for their company, however, since I am not an american citizen and do not have a social security number they say they'll "be in touch." This is quite frustrating seeing that I will be starting a career here in NYC.

I have been exploring my options and don't know what is the best way.

Option 1
    Can I get married at a justice of a peace and have my fiancee sponsor me? If so, how long is the process of obtaining a working permit?

Option 2
    Keep applying for jobs and wait and see if an employer will give me a H1-visa?

Option 3
    What is this fiancee visa I keep hearing about? ie: you must get married in 90 days.

I'd greatly appreciate a response.

thanks
    Hazel Lorico

Hi I know you will be busy tonight so I will break down my question. It's quite simple.

I am a Canadian citizen looking to live and work here in the United States because I am engaged to an American citizen.

I have been to a few job interviews where they are interested in me working for their company, however, since I am not an american citizen and do not have a social security number they say they'll "be in touch." This is quite frustrating seeing that I will be starting a career here in NYC.

I have been exploring my options and don't know what is the best way.

Option 1
    Can I get married at a justice of a peace and have my fiancee sponsor me? If so, how long is the process of obtaining a working permit?

Option 2
    Keep applying for jobs and wait and see if an employer will give me a H1-visa?

Option 3
    What is this fiancee visa I keep hearing about? ie: you must get married in 90 days.

I'd greatly appreciate a response.

thanks
    Hazel Lorico

Comment

Here you go:

All the info on the fiance visa from the INS page.

http://www.ins.gov/graphics/howdoi/fiance.htm

I think the fiance visa will be easier to get than a company sponsoring you.

Best of luck

Comment

Working...
      X