No announcement yet.

alternatives to marriage/fiancee visa?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• alternatives to marriage/fiancee visa?

Hi,

I am in a serious relationship with a Venezuelan man who would like to move to the United States (I'm an American citizen and we met while I was working in Venezuela). Due to the political/economic turmoil in Venezuela, the U.S. consulate is not giving out many visas to Venezuelans-- he was even turned down last month when he tried to apply for a tourist visa to come visit (apparently he didn't have enough financial assets there to prove he was going to come back to Venezuela).

Since a green card seems out of the question, we're thinking a student visa might be a good option for him to at least be here for a little while, study English, and allow us the time to determine the future of our relationship. Are there any other options I should know about? I know it would be easier to get married-- but I'm just not ready! Any advice people have would be much appreciated.

Hi,

I am in a serious relationship with a Venezuelan man who would like to move to the United States (I'm an American citizen and we met while I was working in Venezuela). Due to the political/economic turmoil in Venezuela, the U.S. consulate is not giving out many visas to Venezuelans-- he was even turned down last month when he tried to apply for a tourist visa to come visit (apparently he didn't have enough financial assets there to prove he was going to come back to Venezuela).

Since a green card seems out of the question, we're thinking a student visa might be a good option for him to at least be here for a little while, study English, and allow us the time to determine the future of our relationship. Are there any other options I should know about? I know it would be easier to get married-- but I'm just not ready! Any advice people have would be much appreciated.

Comment

Find the company that willing to hire him or as you said, the student visa. Good luck.

Comment

A student visa has the identical requirements of a tourist visa - that is, the applicant has to convince the embassy that he/she will return to (Venezuela) after their studies. Since by now the embassy knows he wanted to be a 'tourist' and suddenly has decided to be a 'student' of (whatever subject) they will quickly put 2 and 2 together to figure out that there is something besides "study" on his mind.
        Most embassies know that people try to use student visas in place of a fiancee visa to get their boyfriend/girlfriend to the US without a lot of waiting time.

Comment

Why not try fiance visa? Three months won't be enough for you two to know if you wanna stay together?

It took me and my wife of 17 years just one month and still going strong.

Comment

I personally don't think that he would be able to get student visa because it's requirement is similar to tourist visa when it comes to immigrant intent, which means he still needs to convince the Consulor that he would return back after his study, and do not forget that when Consulor did not get convinced at the time of tourist visa application then how come Consulor would be satisfied at the time of student visa on 'immigrant intent'. In addition, you said that he is not financially sound, obviously then he can not obtain visa anyway because he needs to show 'clear and convincing evidence' that how his tution fees and boarding & logding expenses would be taking care of during his stay in U.S. Third, just for studying english, Consulor would not issue visa because they are now refusing to people who like to come here to study only english. Consulors are not stupid. They are doing this job for their living and they are aware of all these tricks.

I'm kind of confused here when you said that you are not ready to marry, but on the otherhand you are saying that you are in a "very serious relationship". What kind of relationship is this. Do you want only "other" types of relationship rather than committed one. If yes, then you are also allowed to live with him to his country if he won't be able to come here. For me, if I'm in a "serious relationship" then I would do everything in my power to be with my love, and I will never think twice on the issue of committed relationship. But again, different people have different ideology toward relationship. I was brought up with a idea that before marriage, *** should be avoided. However, I did mistake in my life in the past when I did not keep it up what I was brought up, but now on, I will wait until I get married and anyway for me- romance is firstmost than ***. Well, I don't know why I'm discussing this over here. Forgive me. Best of all.

Comment

Kristi: I think you have a major crush on this hispanic guy. Well, if you want to spend some quality time with him and at the same find out more about the fellow, then you must try get the fellow here. He can't say to the visa officer that he is going to see you or that he knows people in the United States. He has to show that he has strong ties, to his country.

If he can show that he has rich relatives and that he is engaged to someone and would like to come back to get married then he has a fair chance of spending some good time with you in the US.

Comment

Thanks for your responses. From what I'm hearing it seems like the student visa isn't really a viable option... in fact, it would probably just raise suspicions given he applied for the tourist visa last month and now claims he wants to go to the U.S. for a different reason.

I'm still wavering on the fiancee visa... Yes I'm in love with him, we had been living together in Caracas and it was wonderful, but at the same time I'm 24, never been married, and hadn't planned on getting married until I finish grad school/get a bit more established in my career. There's also the challenge that he doesn't speak English, which will make it tough for him to get to know my friends/family here, plus he's always lived from paycheck to paycheck, and has never been to college-- as a type-a overachiever, that's not exactly how I always envisioned my life partner. Anyway, this is all running through my head as I try to make this decision. But I guess love is blind, right? Thanks again for your advice.

Comment

Working...
                X