how do I get a SSN

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how do I get a SSN

I am a F1 student. I auditioned for a commercial and I could have the job. It is paid but I dob't have a social security number. What can I do?

Hello there...

Redcat if you got a student visa you probably got an SSN, but you can NOT use it to work, if you do this... you will be reported to INS, and they can cancel you visa..!

Comment

You first need to apply for a work authorization from the INS before accepting employment. You cannot work with just a SS card. You need both a SS card AND an Employment Authorization card in order to work here in the USA.

Comment

As an F-1 student, you need to have been in school for 9 consecutive months before you can even apply for a work authorization. Even with this, you are still not guaranteed to get an employment authorization from the INS.

Comment

Patt is right and just want to add that in case you work it has to be related to school or should be in the school zone.

Comment

Go to the international student office and ask for an eligibility verification form. SS office needs to see that form together with your passport, visa, I-94 and I-20 ALL ORIGINAL! ^_^ SS will mail you the card within two weeks.

All those ppl are right, you CAN'T work without proper working permit. And since you're an F1, you have to work in the field you're studying, given you have a proper working permit(EAD).

James

Comment

Addition: you can`t have a full time job, 20h/week is the max.

Comment

does anyone know if I could get sponsered from the commercial agency just one time? Anyone know what kind of visa that would be?

Comment

No such thing!

Comment

Working...
                  X