X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• US Citizens in France

PARIS IN THE CROSSFIRE

Well, what a cross-cultural merry-go-round of wrong-headedness have we been on this week! The Franco-American ink war is in full swing, and as Francophiles in the Anglo-Saxon world or Anglophones in France, we sure have crazy front row seats to the mud slinging.
    The French press has been packed with incredulous reports on how the American media is leading a smear campagne against a France it now sees as deserting the very ally that liberated it some 60 years ago. Americans who have barely given France a thought over the years are suddenly rallying around the idea of boycotting French products, punishing the French for going awol on the American march toward forceful regime-removal. We sit here and watch these fictive Scud-like clouds pass over, realizing that most of geo-political conflict is the mean-spirited abuse of media. In other words, propaganda. We all know the word, but do we know when it is working on us.

Fortunately, here in Paris I have yet to find one person who has judged me on the foreign policies of my government. Tant-mieux.

Here´s the truth. There is no real Franco-American battle of any substance going on between our peoples. Our societies and our citizens continue to enjoy a deeply symbiotic relationship, because our cultures complement each other and thrive on the two-way myths that drive millions of each others men and women to each others cities, sights, universities, hospitals, stores, restaurants, and museums each year. We love each other, precisely because our ways are different. You can´t get take out coffee in Paris and you are always taking out mugs of coffee in New York. One side is naive and energetic, the other is worldly and reflective. If you want a perfect soul, learn to live in both places and internalize both Continents. Keep traveling, and let the disinformation worm strangle itself.
    The French official wish that war does not break out is neither anti-American nor disloyal. It suffers from no irreverence to history. The American anger at France´s refusal to get in line, de Toqueville might have seen as a juvenile tantrum.
    Without getting overly political, I just want to tell friends, visitors, fellow anglophones, francophiles, expats, confused citizens that it´s a great time to be in Paris and a particularly stimulating moment in Franco-American history. Participate by talking to your friends of all nationalities and never let the obscure self-interests of a few policy and media manipulators anywhere ever cloud your personal judgments.

PARIS IN THE CROSSFIRE

Well, what a cross-cultural merry-go-round of wrong-headedness have we been on this week! The Franco-American ink war is in full swing, and as Francophiles in the Anglo-Saxon world or Anglophones in France, we sure have crazy front row seats to the mud slinging.
    The French press has been packed with incredulous reports on how the American media is leading a smear campagne against a France it now sees as deserting the very ally that liberated it some 60 years ago. Americans who have barely given France a thought over the years are suddenly rallying around the idea of boycotting French products, punishing the French for going awol on the American march toward forceful regime-removal. We sit here and watch these fictive Scud-like clouds pass over, realizing that most of geo-political conflict is the mean-spirited abuse of media. In other words, propaganda. We all know the word, but do we know when it is working on us.

Fortunately, here in Paris I have yet to find one person who has judged me on the foreign policies of my government. Tant-mieux.

Here´s the truth. There is no real Franco-American battle of any substance going on between our peoples. Our societies and our citizens continue to enjoy a deeply symbiotic relationship, because our cultures complement each other and thrive on the two-way myths that drive millions of each others men and women to each others cities, sights, universities, hospitals, stores, restaurants, and museums each year. We love each other, precisely because our ways are different. You can´t get take out coffee in Paris and you are always taking out mugs of coffee in New York. One side is naive and energetic, the other is worldly and reflective. If you want a perfect soul, learn to live in both places and internalize both Continents. Keep traveling, and let the disinformation worm strangle itself.
    The French official wish that war does not break out is neither anti-American nor disloyal. It suffers from no irreverence to history. The American anger at France´s refusal to get in line, de Toqueville might have seen as a juvenile tantrum.
    Without getting overly political, I just want to tell friends, visitors, fellow anglophones, francophiles, expats, confused citizens that it´s a great time to be in Paris and a particularly stimulating moment in Franco-American history. Participate by talking to your friends of all nationalities and never let the obscure self-interests of a few policy and media manipulators anywhere ever cloud your personal judgments.

Comment

Americans who go to France will be urinated upon.

Comment

Gee. I am a USC scheduled to leave for Paris this next Monday. Now I am truly worried.

Comment

HAHAHAHAHA, that's hilarous!!!! You go man!!! HAHAHAHA Good luck being in Paris after all these FRIENDLY messages.....haha
          Bye, Sophie

Comment

to "Another USC": I guess poster "I hope not" is being sarcastic in case the other poster "Soon" is not joking.

Comment

Whatever...I know, USC is being sarcastic, and it's still hilarous!!! He knows how to "hit" back...hehe....all right, bye bye

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs

Twitter feed

Immigrant Nation