did we break the law??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• did we break the law??

wife and i just got married. 11/08/02 she arrived here 05/04/01. she was supposed to leave 11/03/01 but filed and was granted extension to stay untill 05/03/02. filed again for another extension in April. We received letter asking her why she wanted to stay longer. We answered that we were planning our wedding in november 2002. We are now married and I want to know if we did wrong? Can we still adjust status? We are crazy for each other, and I need some help in calming our fears. did we hurt ourselves in any way by telling them we were getting married? In the eyes of the INS are visitors not allowed to get married?

wife and i just got married. 11/08/02 she arrived here 05/04/01. she was supposed to leave 11/03/01 but filed and was granted extension to stay untill 05/03/02. filed again for another extension in April. We received letter asking her why she wanted to stay longer. We answered that we were planning our wedding in november 2002. We are now married and I want to know if we did wrong? Can we still adjust status? We are crazy for each other, and I need some help in calming our fears. did we hurt ourselves in any way by telling them we were getting married? In the eyes of the INS are visitors not allowed to get married?

Comment

If they feel like she entered knowing she was going to get married, then yes you are in trouble.
      If you can prove that she didn't enter knowing she was going to get married, then you'll be fine.

Out of curiosity, have you not heard back from the request, was it accepted or denied?

Comment

what is the number of days that INS is looking for as misrepresentation? is it 180 days? if this is true, then she would be eligible to adjust without trouble. I am not sure about this, I have read in some threads about this 180 days ruling.

Comment

Yes, there is a 30/60 day rule: marriage within 30 days upon entry: suspicious and very likely will be interpreted as fraud; 30-60 days: should be okay but INS will still investigate; after 60 days: pretty much safe.

Comment

The sticking point may be his reply to the INS letter. What date? Right after requesting 2nd continuous extension?

Comment

Working...
            X