SSN & AOS

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SSN & AOS

I came to the US on a stusdent visa (F-1) and I got a SSN and a 1-year EAD. I've been working for almost a year now. I applied for AOS based on marriage to USC in June. I am waiting for the new EAD. Are they gonna give me a new SSN am I gonna keep the same one? Thanks

I came to the US on a stusdent visa (F-1) and I got a SSN and a 1-year EAD. I've been working for almost a year now. I applied for AOS based on marriage to USC in June. I am waiting for the new EAD. Are they gonna give me a new SSN am I gonna keep the same one? Thanks

Comment

Does it have any note on your SS card? Like "authorize to work with BCIS authorization only"? If just a plain SS, you can keep the old card, if you change a new SS card you still use the old number, they will never change your SS number even if they going to replace your SS card.

I'm not a lawyer, act accordingly.

Comment

Me2,
        That's correct. I have the note on my current SSN "Valid for Work with INS Authorization". So I guess they won't change the number but send a new SSN card with the same number and without the note?

Comment

As far as I'm concern, you still get the same note when you apply under AOS. So just keep the card. When you get your EAD, normally valid EAD card itself is the proof that you authorize to work. So actually you don't need to change your SS card until you get your passport stamp.

But if you're not confortable with it, you can always call SS 1800 number and ask them.

Comment

Working...
          X