Prisioner in my own country

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prisioner in my own country

I'm trying to find a solution to my current situation. I owe child support that is in arrears. I have ben paying for 6 years and am still far behind. The child in question is 22 years old now and emacipated from judgement. I am trying to get a passport to go to England as my fiancee' lives there and we plan to get married but I can't receive a passport to go. Anyone have a suggestion that will point me in the right direction? Need constructive advise here. Thank you in advance for your suggestions.

I'm trying to find a solution to my current situation. I owe child support that is in arrears. I have ben paying for 6 years and am still far behind. The child in question is 22 years old now and emacipated from judgement. I am trying to get a passport to go to England as my fiancee' lives there and we plan to get married but I can't receive a passport to go. Anyone have a suggestion that will point me in the right direction? Need constructive advise here. Thank you in advance for your suggestions.

Comment

This is not really US immigration related so I would advise to talk to a lawyer in how to obtain a passport.

What is the exact reason for the denial?

Comment

Because federal law mandates that if you owe more than $5000 in child support you cant obtain a passport.

Comment

wow
          you can`t live country beacuse of child support?

Comment

I didn't pay support for a horse back in my own country and was refused visa.

Comment

What if you defaulted on a student loan??

Comment

TO SPEEDRACER: I applaud you because you are trying now to do everything the "right" way. Unfortunately, I don't know of many exceptions to obtain a passport when it's been denied. On the other hand, there are many, many reasons for which passports are denied ~ yes, even to America's own citizens ~ and most of them are unrelated to immigration.

TO IMMIGRANTS: Most of you seemed shocked to think America actually has rules to follow or Americans will be penalized in inconvenient and unpleasant ways. The immigrants who post here need to grow up. Americans are denied privileges every single day ~ for oversights, mistakes, mere neglect ~ and for a whole host of things far less serious than breaking immigration laws.

Comment

LOL to "It happens"!

Comment

You did not support your own child, your own blood. It means that you did not care for him and had sympathy for your child. How you can expect others to care or have sympathy for you. You did not only break the law but also commited a sin by not being with your kids at an age, when they needed you most. You deserve nothing. You just think about yourself. Instead of paying back child support, you want to travel to be with your girlfriend. Shame on you.

Comment

You may feel like a prisoner, but you are only subject to the same laws as all parents responsible for child support payments. From your post it sounds like you'll have to bring the payments up to date before you can leave. If your fiancee loves you, she'll wait, and maybe she can even help you pay this off. The payments are due even though the child is an adult, so get that money paid as quickly as you can.
                      And to "to Speedracer", your message to the immigrants was pretty well put. I think sometimes we see only our own situations and forget that we are not the only ones with problems.

Comment

This is a reply to "Guest" (funny how they never use a nic).
                        Your reponse to "Deadbeat Dad" is so typical. I owe child supoort so I must be a deadbeat right?
                        For those that are interested, we divorced when the child was young and about 3 monthes after the divorce she and her mother vanished. I tried for 3 years to find them with no trace of them. From there I just went on with life. iI had no word from them until my daugther was 18 and she had tracked me down at her mother's request, saying she needed to find her father. After that conversation with her, I received papers that I was being sued for back child support. She had used my daughters need for her father for nothing more than financial gain. My daugther apologize profusely that she had put me in that postition and she now does have a relationship with her mother.
                        So for those who want to assume that because child support is owed that it is a "deadbeat" situation, think again. There are always two sides to every story and it shouldnt be assumed that it is deadbeat. I live with that stygma everyday from people narrow minded enough to look at the issue in that manner.

Comment

I had a feeling you'd hit a lot of deadbeat dad messages with your post. It never fails on this board! My fiancee was in the same situation years ago - his wife took his son and daughter to another state - he called the police and hired detectives and couldn't find them for several years. When he did, she took him to court and sued for unpaid child support, despite the fact that he had nowhere to send the money! It still sounds like you'll have to pay before you can get your passport and go. Have you consulted an attorney to see if you can fight this? There are two sides to the story, and I wonder if you can't beat this - I'd get a lawyer, and good luck re-establishing your relationship with your daughter.

Comment

Working...
                          X