Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What name to use for Adjustment of Status?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What name to use for Adjustment of Status?

I just got married to a US citizen, and need to adjust my status. I am also changing my name to have my husband's last name. Do I use my maiden name on my applications for AOS, or my married name?

If I use my married name, it is not the same as my passport. My home country does not allow name change in the legal docs.

Help!

I just got married to a US citizen, and need to adjust my status. I am also changing my name to have my husband's last name. Do I use my maiden name on my applications for AOS, or my married name?

If I use my married name, it is not the same as my passport. My home country does not allow name change in the legal docs.

Help!

Comment

They usually ask you for your maiden name on the application.

I would ask a lawyer to be sure but I think using your married name will be fine.

Comment

You should use your married name. In the application Form there is a column "have you ever used other name", in that column you should write your name before marriage including your maiden name. On your marriage Certificate it must be mentioned that you will use new last name. You must go to your country's Consulate and ask them to make endorsements in your passport about marital status, change of last name and write down your husbands name. This is a normal procedure and every country follows this procedure.
        Good luck.

Comment

Working...
        X