Naturalization

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Naturalization

I am eligible to apply for naturalization within the next three weeks.

Could anyone please help me understand the questions in part 10 of N-400? Question number 18 asks: "Have you EVER been convicted of a crime or offense?". Do "convictions" for TRAFFIC violations need to be declared in response to the above cited question? I had been "convicted" for moving violations like not wearing seatbelt and running red lights. The instructions that accompany N-400 do not give any indication whether traffic penalties are exceptions. What should I do? Thanks for your advice!

I am eligible to apply for naturalization within the next three weeks.

Could anyone please help me understand the questions in part 10 of N-400? Question number 18 asks: "Have you EVER been convicted of a crime or offense?". Do "convictions" for TRAFFIC violations need to be declared in response to the above cited question? I had been "convicted" for moving violations like not wearing seatbelt and running red lights. The instructions that accompany N-400 do not give any indication whether traffic penalties are exceptions. What should I do? Thanks for your advice!

Comment

I think you have to answer "yes" on #18 and indicated TRAFFIC VIOLATION on why you were arrested, fill up other questions and you will be alright, traffic violation does not amount to bad moral character.

Comment

Thanks a lot!

But, I was NOT arrested at all! All I meant to say was that I was penalized for these violations.

In the case involving running a red light, I had to go to the court, and the judge decided that I was "guilty". I had to pay about $100.00 penalty. So also, in the seat belt violation case - which happened in a state other than the one I live in - I had to go to court, and the judge penalized me for about $75.00.

I was NEVER arrested in my life. I wanted to make sure there is not even an appearance of being less than honest in my application form. I wanted some clarification because the instructions do not say anywhere anything about traffic offenses. I do know that traffic violations do NOT constitute moral turpitude. But if I answer NO to question #18 and INS finds out that I had traffic violations, can they not trap me for "lying"? That is what I am worried about.

Again, thanks for your time, understanding, and advice.

Comment

Don't worry about traffic violations, they don't need to be mentioned...

Comment

Some of the traffic violation are not included.Some of them are . For Example DUI/DWI is included.

Comment

On this, I would disagree with Mohan. I have a friend who was recently denied naturalization because he failed to mention his arrest for being truanced during his high school days. Imagine that, how much more of a traffic violation?

Comment

I am also facing this problem for Red Stop violation.Ticket is citation? so one has to fill the blanks YES.But what is the lawyer interpretation as per law?.Though it is minor thing but now a days INS "MAY" rejects on small ground.Only lawyer can advise better.Hello >>>>lawyer please>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Comment

Mr Mohan is right

Some of the traffic violation are not included.Some of them are . For Example DUI/DWI is included.

Comment

Thats what I said ! some of trafic violation are counted offence and you are probihited to naturalize if you have citation.

Comment

What is menat by "citation"? Does having to pay penalty for seat belt violation and running red light fall in that category? If yes, how long is a person with such a record disqualified from applying for naturalization?

Comment

Citation means you were issued a ticket for minor infraction of the law, paritcularly a muncipal or city ordinace. There is no arrest, but you are only required to pay fine or fines.

INS expect applicants to be truthful and honest. If you have a case of this nature in the past, If I were you, I will indicate it in my application. It does not amount to moral turpitude anyway, it will only show how honest you are. INS is now VERY STrick IN SCRUTINIZING applications, and that is one reasons why every applicant has to undergo an FBI INVESTIGATION. fBI PICK UP even a minor infraction and submit it to the INS interviewer.

Comment

NOW Only lawyer can advise better.Hello >>>>lawyer please>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
                          lawyer please

LAWYER PELEASEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!

MARRY CHRISTMAS
                          RED INDIAN

Comment

Blah-blah-blah

FBI could care less, if you ran a red light or
                            did not wear a sitbelt. Only crimes that you were
                            arrested for and fingerprints taken are reported to the FBI. INS does not care for these types either.

Comment

I blah with sense and I want to help.

FBI could care less, may be, but the INS DO.

Recently, here in L.A. hundred of people were and some are still being detained, reason, background check.

After the 9/11 the government had a policy of exclusion. In fact loads and loads of people with various violation were deported.

If you are not a usc, be careful os, you might be one of those if you are careless.

Comment

Working...
                              X