TAX ADVICE, PLEASE.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TAX ADVICE, PLEASE.

I AM A GREENCARD HOLDER MARRIED TO MY WIFE WHOM I FILE FOR HER LAST YEAR.HOW CAN GET IDENTIFICATION NUMBER FOR SO THAT I CAN CLAIM HER ON MY TAX.SHE DOESN'T HAVE SS#.WHAT WILL IRS REQUEST WHEN I APPLY FOR HER TAX INDENTIFICATION?CAN ANYONE WHO HAS KNOWLEDGE IN TAX FILING PLEASE ADVICE.

I AM A GREENCARD HOLDER MARRIED TO MY WIFE WHOM I FILE FOR HER LAST YEAR.HOW CAN GET IDENTIFICATION NUMBER FOR SO THAT I CAN CLAIM HER ON MY TAX.SHE DOESN'T HAVE SS#.WHAT WILL IRS REQUEST WHEN I APPLY FOR HER TAX INDENTIFICATION?CAN ANYONE WHO HAS KNOWLEDGE IN TAX FILING PLEASE ADVICE.

Comment

Eff:

Sorry but I think in order to illicit a response you will need to give more details.

Why doesn't your wife have a social Security number, is she not a citizen or registered alien with a working visa? And you also stated that you filed for her last year, do you mean you filed an IRS tax return for her, or were you referring to something you had filed for her with regard to Immigration matters?

If you did file a tax return for her last year...How?

If you are enquiring as to how you would include her on your tax return, and I am presuming by that you mean the 1040, if she is not working (judging by the fact that she must not be, without a SS#) what is your question?

Can you include her as a dependent and thereby file as married with a greater personal deduction/exemption?

Comment

eff,

u can get tax for her its called TIN number, thats what i have as i am on H4 visa. But if she is her legally then u can apply for social at a social security office.

Comment

SHE IS PRESENTLY ILLEGAL MARRIED TO ME,A GC HOLDER.I FILE FOR HER WHEN THE GOVERNMENT GAVE THE TEMPORARY AMNESTY.I MEAN THE 245.SHE ON THREE YEARS WAITING LIST ,BUT I WILL LIKE TO CLAIM HER AS DEPENDANT ON MY TAX FILLING SO THAT IT DOESN'T BECOME A PROBLEM WHEN WE GO TO INS INTERVIEW.ADVICE AND SUGGESTIONS WILL BE GREATLY APPRECIATED.

Comment

I filed joint married taxes with my husband and he had no SS#, A#, or TIN#. He had no income either, but I put him on my taxes anyhow. Not a problem.

Student Loan confiscates my refund, so they sent me a letter saying to use a special form next time so hubby's refund doesn't get taken with mine.

Josephine Schmo

I forgot to log out of hubby's name = Mian.

Comment

ITIN, or Individual Taxpayer Identification Number, is a tax processing number only available for certain nonresident and resident aliens, their spouses, and dependents who cannot get a Social Security Number (SSN). It is a 9-digit number, beginning with a "9".

As of December 17th you do not apply for the ITIN separately. You must send the W-7 *ALONG WITH* your taxes all to the ITIN processing unit in Philadelphia. They will issue an ITIN and then forward the taxes to be processed."

The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) announced several changes to the Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) program, effective December 17, 2003.

All individuals with a U.S. income, regardless of immigration status, are required by federal law to pay U.S. taxes. The ITIN is a nine-digit number that begins with "9" which was created for use on tax returns for taxpayers who do not qualify for a Social Security Number (SSN).

In the new announcement, the IRS also made reference to their earlier 2003 memo, which advised governors and state motor vehicle departments that "ITINs were not designed to serve as personal identification and would not be suitable for determining identification of applicants for driver's licenses."

Here are the details, quoted from www.IRS.gov, of the new changes to the ITIN program.

"All new ITIN applicants will have to show a federal tax purpose for seeking the ITIN. For those seeking an ITIN to meet their income tax filing obligations, this will require attaching a federal tax return to the Form W-7 when they are ready to file their tax return with the IRS.

ITIN applications without proof of need for tax administration purposes will be rejected."

The IRS will reduce to 13 from 40 the number of documents it will accept as proof of identity to obtain an ITIN. The 13 acceptable documents are listed in the new Form W-7 instructions.

The IRS also will change the appearance of the ITIN from a card to an authorization letter to avoid any possible similarities with a Social Security Number card. "

Any walk -in IRS office can take application/taxreturn or Mail to Phila Serv. Center , Philadelphia, PA

Comment

Working...
              X