Green Card requirement

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Green Card requirement

If I don't intent to apply for citizenship but would like to keep my green card, do I still have to met the physical presence requirement? In other words, can I be out of the US for more than 6 months and not have my green card taken away? Thanks!

If I don't intent to apply for citizenship but would like to keep my green card, do I still have to met the physical presence requirement? In other words, can I be out of the US for more than 6 months and not have my green card taken away? Thanks!

Comment

Even if you do not wish to be USC still you should not stay outside the United States for over 6 months. In case you expect that your stay can be longer than 6 months it would be better for you to apply for reentry permit. With reentry permit you can stay out of the United States upto two years. But stay of more than six months out of United States is considered disruption on continuous residency for purpose of Citizenship. Whereas a USC has no restriction as to how long he wants to stay out of the United States.
      Good luck.

Comment

if you only intend to retain your greencard, all you have to do is come to the US every six months. if you are out of the uS for over 6 mos, that will be considered abandoning the US.

Comment

If you will be spending more time out of the United States and less in the United States. Immigration will consider that you have no intention to reside permanently in the United States and they can take away your GC. It will be safe if you apply for Reentry permit to preserve your residency.
          Good luck.

Comment

Working...
          X