Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Social Security Number

Can I apply SS# when:-

1. My AOS still pending and no EAD receive yet.

The SS office said I cannot and they suggested me to call Internal Revenue to get a number. Anyone in this situation? Why this SS ppl make my life so miserable...grrrrrrrrr

Can I apply SS# when:-

1. My AOS still pending and no EAD receive yet.

The SS office said I cannot and they suggested me to call Internal Revenue to get a number. Anyone in this situation? Why this SS ppl make my life so miserable...grrrrrrrrr

Comment

Social Security people are doing their duty according to rules of that department. Unless you have EAD, you can not get SSN. IRS can issue you a special number which can only be used to file taxes if you do not have SSN.
      Good luck.

Comment

But Umesh, can you verify this, I found this in their (SS) website. They allow ppl who doesn't have EAD apply for it but must have the followings:- I even called the 1800 and asked the same, they said 'yes you can ma'am.'. I'm confused.

Its says:-

We'll continue to issue SSNs to non-citizens who aren't otherwise eligible for SSNs for the following nonwork purposes:

a Federal law or regulation requires that you provide your SSN to get the particular benefit or service or
        a State or local law requires you to provide your SSN to get general assistance benefits to which you have established entitlement.

If you don't have permission to work, but still need a number for one of the reasons mentioned above, we'll need a statement on letterhead stationery from the government agency that is requiring you to provide an SSN. The letter must:

Specifically identify you as the applicant
        Cite the law requiring you to have a Social Security Number and
        Indicate that you meet all the agency's requirements to get the benefit or service except for having an SSN.

All documents must be either originals or copies certified by the issuing agency. We can't accept photocopies or notarized copies of documents.

Well, Umesh...what say you?

Comment

Working...
        X