Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Widower and citizenship

Hi guys,
    I have a question and can't find anything related to it online.
    My wife passed away 6 months ago and I already got my 10years green card under widower category.
    My question is: for how long do I have to hold the green card before being eligible to apply for the citizenship? 3 years, 5 years? I have no clue.

Thank you very much and have a great afternoon.

Hi guys,
    I have a question and can't find anything related to it online.
    My wife passed away 6 months ago and I already got my 10years green card under widower category.
    My question is: for how long do I have to hold the green card before being eligible to apply for the citizenship? 3 years, 5 years? I have no clue.

Thank you very much and have a great afternoon.

Comment

Good question. I would think it would be 5yrs as the petitioner no longer exists. Did you do an I-360?
      "What you see in the photograph isn't what you saw at the time. The real skill of photography is organized visual lying."

Comment

No, I didn't do an I-360. We had a pending I-485 when she passed.

Comment

How was it adjudicated?
          "What you see in the photograph isn't what you saw at the time. The real skill of photography is organized visual lying."

Comment

What does it mean "adjudicated"?

Comment

I mean how was your application approved? You say you were approved under the widower category which implies no interview so you must have offered evidence of a good faith marriage?

Comment

What happened was, we had the I-485 interview scheduled and my wife passed away before the interview. So I showed up by myself with her death certificate and did the interview. I got approved and my green card has category "IW-6" wich is for widow/er of US Citizen.
                Of course I showed a bunch of evidence because we got married for love, and were married for 5 years.
                That's my doubt: I know people are supposed to stay married for 3 years in order to apply for the citizenship. But in my case I have no idea of the waiting time.

Comment

I suspect you are looking at 5yrs (minus 90 days) before you can apply for Naturalization although if LPR is gained via an I-360 under VAWA it's only 3yrs. That's why I was asking if you had filed an I-360.

Comment

Whereas, I opine that the OP is looking at the 3-year minus 90 days N-400 application timeline. I'm basing it on FY10 Department of Homeland Security Appropriations bill (P.L.111-83) that President Obama signed into law on 10/28/09, which among other things, invalidated the 'widow(er) penalty.'

There are no hard-cut implementing guidelines yet coming from either the DHS or the DOS in relation to this law. But some practitioners assume that if the USC spouse filed an I-130 petition prior to his/her death, then the I-130 petition will be automatically converted to an I-360 petition. As is the case in the OP's instance.

Comment

The 3yr rule would make sense in a widower case as it can be done via the VAWA I-360 route.

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Brit4064:
                        The 3yr rule would make sense in a widower case as it can be done via the VAWA I-360 route. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<hr />
                        watch tv shows || watch tv shows online

Comment

Working...
                        X