LPR wants to Petition Common Law Wife Instead of Legal Wife

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LPR wants to Petition Common Law Wife Instead of Legal Wife

I am an LPR and I wish to file a petition for my common law wife in the Philippines instead of my legal wife. Is there any way I could do this?

I am an LPR and I wish to file a petition for my common law wife in the Philippines instead of my legal wife. Is there any way I could do this?

Comment

just to provide additional information - i have not been divorced from my legal wife (there's no divorce in the Philippines). I have been with my common law wife for ~5yrs and have kids with her.

Comment

Bigamy is an offence in the United States and when you had applied for your LPR you had given an undertaking that you will not practice bigamy.
        You must have stated on your Visa Forms that you are married and who is your wife and how many children you have, whether from your legal wife or out of wedlock.
        So, my friend you have already committed a crime........

Comment

Thanks Umesh for your reply,so now Im in this situation,Is there anything I can do or Is there any chances for me to bring them here even Im still married with my first wife yet we are separated for 8 years?

Comment

Just to make it clear - I am not married to my common law wife - bigamy is an offense in the Phils. We went together when I split up with my legal wife.

Comment

Only way for you is that you should get divorce from your legal wife. Since you are not living with her for the last over 8 years. You can file a Divorce petition in Phillpines and get divorce from your legal wife. Thereafter you can marry your girlfriend (so call common law wife) and sponsor her and your children. Since in your Immigration Papers you are married, as such, you must get a divorce from the Court there before proceeding further.

Comment

There is no divorce in the Philippines.

If you can't divorce, you cannot remarry.

Just carry on the way you are. At least you have LPR.

I know of Americans who can never bring their Filipino loved ones here because of previous marriages. INS and DOS look for this one. Eg. the legal names of declared children.

Comment

Thanks for your replies.What if I became a US citizen,is there any chances at all?Since theres no divorce in Phippines,can I file a divorce here in US so I can marry my common law wife and bring here with me?Is that possible and what are the preceedings?Thanks

Comment

You need a divorce lawyer. I believe that if you are a LPR and you spouse does not want to join you in USA, those would be legal grounds for separation.

If your spouse does not contest it, divorce may be easier for you in USA.

PS You need a divorce lawyer who has experience in Filipino law also.

Comment

There is a law about legal separation in the philippines. It has the same effect of divorse. It is more convenient for you to file a divorse here in the U/S, but mind you, this U.S. divorse even with your wife's consent does not invalidate your marriage with your first wife for the reason that foriegn divorse is not recognized in the Pilippines.

Comment

Yeah youre right I guess I need to consult a lawyer for all of this but what Im thinkin of,is since for eg.Im a USC,am I free to get marry as a USC to anybody in the world as long as Im married once in my citizenship,what I mean to say is do I practicing bigamy if Im married once being USC?Then,is the Philippine Government can file a case against me if I marry on a second time but not as a Filipino Citizen but as a US Citizen?Thanks to all who gave some ideas and information about this.

Comment

Bigamy is bigamy in the US. You cannot have two wives. You must file for divorce but it could be costly, so it's your choice.

Comment

Correction, it is not legal separation but something like vioding a marriage contract.

Mr. whoever you are, if you obtain a divorse here in the U.S. against your Philippine wife it is not bigamy but it is bigamy in the Philippines. Philippines law does not recognized foriegn divorse.

Do not ENTERTAIN this no brainy idea that simply because you are a USC you can marry any body in the world. You are pulling ours legs.

I suggest that you hire a lawyer in the Philippines and file an action to nullify your marriage contract.

Comment

I can't resist but say something.

Are you really a Pilipino? Every Pilipino of marrigeable age now know that there has been a law enacted long time age about voidable marriages. During my time, this was considered a private crime, it is only the agrieve party that can bring an action against the offending spouse and never by the government agency.

It appears that both can now initiate the proceedings.

Comment

Working...
                              X