No announcement yet.

The Best Time and Place to Get Married?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Best Time and Place to Get Married?

Hello everyone This is my first post to the discussion board. Thank you in advance for all your help.

My girlfriend is from Taiwan (I live in Phoenix, AZ). We have been planning to get married in September when she comes for another visit. She would not move here right away - maybe 6 months to a year after we get married.

My first question is what kind of VISA should she get? I assume it would be bad for her to just come on a visitor VISA and get married. So I thought we should probably get a fiance VISA.

I am worried it will cause problems later when she is able to move here. Should we wait until she is able to move here to get married or get married in Taiwan or doesn't it matter?

I am also concerned because the first time she came here on her visitor VISA she did not say she was coming to see me. Will this cause problems in the future when she tries for permanent residence?

Thanks again for all your help.

Hello everyone This is my first post to the discussion board. Thank you in advance for all your help.

My girlfriend is from Taiwan (I live in Phoenix, AZ). We have been planning to get married in September when she comes for another visit. She would not move here right away - maybe 6 months to a year after we get married.

My first question is what kind of VISA should she get? I assume it would be bad for her to just come on a visitor VISA and get married. So I thought we should probably get a fiance VISA.

I am worried it will cause problems later when she is able to move here. Should we wait until she is able to move here to get married or get married in Taiwan or doesn't it matter?

I am also concerned because the first time she came here on her visitor VISA she did not say she was coming to see me. Will this cause problems in the future when she tries for permanent residence?

Thanks again for all your help.

Comment

Hi Phnx ! Firstly if you want to pursue a K1 fiance visa, then the trips from taiwan may well stop. If she has a USC fiance, then at the port of entry, they may question her immigrant intent even if she is planning to return to her country. If you decide to marry when she is here you can adjust status etc., but she cant leave until her AOS is complete and she has advance parole. So with that said, you can have her visit, return home, file for K1. Or you can marry her in her country, file K3 when you return home. Or if you marry in her country, you can possibly file for DCF while there if its available. Good luck !

Comment

Thanks Julie. Your advice is much appreciated.

Comment

Working...
        X