Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I-360, special immigrant juvenile. Anyone, please help.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I-360, special immigrant juvenile. Anyone, please help.

I am a USC and want to sponsor my orphanted 16 year old sister to come to the US and live with me. I understand that we have to wait 12-20 years to get a visa number, and how can one keep a legal status in the US while waiting for the visa? Any ideas, except for F-1?
    Do you think that we have a chance with filing I-360 as a special immigrant juvenile? There are two requirements unfamiliar to me:
    *the juvenile has been declared dependent upon a juvenile court in the US or who such a court has legally committed to, or placed under the custody of, an agency or department of a state and who has been found eligible for long-term foster care; and
    *the juvenile has been the subject of administrative or judicial proceedings in which it was determined that it would not be in the juvenile's best interests to be returned to the juvenile's or his/her parent's country of nationality (I understand this one, that's the point, she cannot go back home).
    I understand that the claim to eligibility has to be based upon the court or administrative documents. We have to have some juvenile proceedings. I just don't know where to start. Anyone had been in a similar situation? What do you think I should do? Thanks.

I am a USC and want to sponsor my orphanted 16 year old sister to come to the US and live with me. I understand that we have to wait 12-20 years to get a visa number, and how can one keep a legal status in the US while waiting for the visa? Any ideas, except for F-1?
    Do you think that we have a chance with filing I-360 as a special immigrant juvenile? There are two requirements unfamiliar to me:
    *the juvenile has been declared dependent upon a juvenile court in the US or who such a court has legally committed to, or placed under the custody of, an agency or department of a state and who has been found eligible for long-term foster care; and
    *the juvenile has been the subject of administrative or judicial proceedings in which it was determined that it would not be in the juvenile's best interests to be returned to the juvenile's or his/her parent's country of nationality (I understand this one, that's the point, she cannot go back home).
    I understand that the claim to eligibility has to be based upon the court or administrative documents. We have to have some juvenile proceedings. I just don't know where to start. Anyone had been in a similar situation? What do you think I should do? Thanks.

Comment

You should go to your local civil court and inquire about all of this and apply for custody immediatly.

In some states you may have to formally adopt your sister for immigration purposes (?). If you're at a total loss, consult an attorney who specializes in family law!

If you're a citizen, make sure that you apply for her derivative citizenship right away too (she can do so as long as she doensn't turn 18 yrs.).

Comment

Working...
      X