Work permit

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Work permit

I am on H1b visa now and am in a process for a green card sponsored by my current employer.
    I am expecting to receive the work permit any day now.
    Does some one knows if, after I get the work permit and in case I need to leave my current employer, I can continue the green card process with another employer? Does it have to be a similar job? Can I be self employed at that stage?
    Thanks,

I am on H1b visa now and am in a process for a green card sponsored by my current employer.
    I am expecting to receive the work permit any day now.
    Does some one knows if, after I get the work permit and in case I need to leave my current employer, I can continue the green card process with another employer? Does it have to be a similar job? Can I be self employed at that stage?
    Thanks,

Comment

I had an H1B Visa before and eventually got my green card through my employer as well. As far as I can remember, you can't get your green card from your employer if you leave them.
      As a matter of fact, my lawyer said that if I had left my employer who was petitioning me for the H1B, I had to get another application done by my future employer for the H1B. I'm not sure if that still stands true now.
      However, I wouldn't take any chances and just stay with your current employer until you get a green card.

Comment

hi!
        I'm a holder of an h1b visa and my employer is willing to sponsor me to get the g.card.
        by any chance, do you remember how long did the process to get the green card takes?
        thanks!!!

Comment

You may be able to switch employers and still keep your GC process going if it is the same or similar job and there is no less than 180 days from I-485 filing to approval - according to AC21 regulations.

Beware though, that the day you use EAD your H-1B will be valid no longer. Your status will become "applicant for adjustment of status". If you want to travel then, you MUST have AP. Also, if I-485 is denied, you'll fall out of status immediately, and your EAD and AP will become invalid.

Proceed with caution.

Comment

Thanks Aibolit. Can you just clarify what is EAD and AP?

Comment

EAD = Employment Authorization Document (work permit);
              AP = Advance Parole (travel document).

Comment

Working...
              X