publisher - over
50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
1995-2014
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

• Bloggings: The Department of Homeland Security Is Vigilant About Protecting America's Borders - From American Children by Roger Algase

Bloggings on Immigration Law

by Roger Algase

The Department of Homeland Security Is Vigilant About Protecting America's Borders - From American Children.

Recently, a client of mine arrived as a visitor at a US airport with her young child, who happens to be a US citizen. The child's US passport had expired, so the mother presented a valid passport from the child's country of dual citizenship in order for the child to enter the US, after showing the child's expired American passport as proof of US citizenship

The inspecting Customs and Border Protection officer gave the mother an intimidating lecture about the importance of keeping the child's US passport current and then confiscated the child's expired US passport, which could only have made it more difficult to obtain a new one.

With all of the threats that America has to face, it is reassuring to know how vigilant the Department of Homeland Security is about protecting our borders from young American children.

About The Author

Roger Algase is a graduate of Harvard College and Harvard Law School. He has been practicing business immigration law in New York City for more than 20 years

The opinions expressed in this article are those of the author(s) alone and should not be imputed to ILW.COM.
    Comments 3 Comments
      Don Miller -
      Had I been the inspecting officer I would have sent them to Secondary for further inspection. These dual nationals make me sick! Citizenship implies, indeed means, political loyalty to the country of which one is a citizen. I know that the US is sickeningly lax on enforcement, which is why no one takes US citizenship seriously anymore, but when one does take the oath of citizenship, we swear to forego any and all political alliances to other countries, sovereigns, etc. But of course oaths mean nothing to our cherished immigrants!

The fact that the foreign ppt was valid while the US document had expired clearly shows which document the mother valued. Yet, without any need to know what the other nationality was in this case, I will make a very safe bet that were there some kind of problem or disturbance for this family while outside the US, it would be the American armed forces they would be crying for to come and save their sorry selves, not whatever rag-tag army from the other country! And the ****er US would do it, too. If I ran the immigration program, anyone requesting admission at a POE as a US citizen had better have a valid US ppt or, guess what? You aren't coming in! You can use your foreign ppt to take you right back to the country that issued it and live happily ever after!
      federale86 -
      I hope the airline was fined as well for boarding someone with either an expired passport or an alien without a visa or VWP pre-clearance.

In any event, why wasn't this alien mother deported for living here illegally or using welfare for the birth of her child? And why does an alien have an immigration attorny on retainer if they aren't comitting some immigration violation?
      Lynn Atherton Bloxham -
      Oh My. How relieved I am to know that the dangerous child was at least harassed and dealt with as a dangerous suspicious child should be. (Please note that this is my attempt at sarcasm of the deepest sort)
      To the above responders:
      I do not understand the hatred , animosity and suspicion toward practically all immigrants. It is time we totally reevaluated our immigration policy and eliminated the bureaucracy and inefficiency that exists. I constantly think of Simon's phrase, "our greatest resource is people." Those who have been here a few generations need to look inward and figure out why they are so hostile. Before I am accused of being an illegal immigrant, actually I am not. Most of my ancestors were here by 1776, One signed the Declaration of Independence...you know that document that states that all are created equal with inalienable rights. Not just the people here at the time, not just certain ethnic groups, no, ALL people. We all need to be welcoming all immigrants.
    Comments Leave Comment

Click here to log in

Put Free Immigration Law Headlines On Your Website

Immigration Daily: the news source for legal professionals. Free! Join 35000+ readers Enter your email address here: