publisher - over
50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

• Article: The Refugee Crisis is Being Blamed for the Terrorist Attacks in Europe. By Nolan Rappaport

The Refugee Crisis is Being Blamed for the Terrorist Attacks in Europe

by

If you are having difficulty viewing this document please click here.

Reprinted with permission.

About The Author

Nolan Rappaport was detailed to the House Judiciary Committee as an Executive Branch Immigration Law Expert for three years; he subsequently served as the immigration counsel for the Subcommittee on Immigration, Border Security, and Claims for four years. Prior to working on the Judiciary Committee, he wrote decisions for the Board of Immigration Appeals for twenty years. He also has been a policy advisor for the DHS Office of Information Sharing and Collaboration under a contract with TKC Communications, and he has been in private practice as an immigration lawyer at Steptoe & Johnson.

The opinions expressed in this article do not necessarily reflect the opinion of ILW.COM.

Comments 8 Comments
      ImmigrationLawBlogs -
      Isn't it time to move beyond the "refugee = terrorist" syndrome and find reasonable ways to fulfill humanitarian obligations while protecting the citizens of the host countries at the same time? There are an estimated four million Middle Eastern refugees in Europe. Of those, perhaps one or two dozen have committed terrorist acts. Of course, that is one or two dozen too many. The ideal number is zero.

But does that mean that 4 million innocent refugees should be kicked out and sent back to Syria, Lybia or other war and terror ridden disaster zones?

Roger Algase
      Attorney at Law

Nolan Rappaport -
      Quote Originally Posted by ImmigrationLawBlogs View Post
      Isn't it time to move beyond the "refugee = terrorist" syndrome and find reasonable ways to fulfill humanitarian obligations while protecting the citizens of the host countries at the same time? Roger Algase Attorney at Law
      How are we going to protect the "citizens of the host countries" if we "move beyond" the fact that terrorists can come here through the refugee program? I thought my article made it clear that the terrorist situation in Europe is out of control . No one is safe from terrorism anywhere in Europe. Terrorists went into a church and cut the throat of an 85-year-old priest. More than 80 people were killed when a terrorist drove a vehicle along a busy sidewalk mowing down more than a 100 people. I don't want that to happen in the United States, but it probably will if we do not secure our border and take aggressive steps to keep terrorists out of the country. I am sure that Roger does not want terrorists here either, but apparently he can shrug his shoulders over the carnage of terrorism because he thinks it isn't nearly as important as helping refugees.
      ImmigrationLawBlogs -
      Nolan is absolutely right when he writes that I do not want terrorists in the United States any more than he does. He is totally wrong when he accuses me of saying that protecting against terrorists "isn't nearly as important as helping refugees". I have never said any such thing and I am sure that Nolan, in keeping with his well-deserved reputation a distinguished legal scholar and authority on immigration law, upon calmer reflection, will wish to retract that statement. Giving expression to sincerely and strongly held views on any issue is one thing. Misquoting someone who may happen to disagree with one's opinions is something else, and is not worthy of the many valuable and important contributions that Nolan has made, and is continuing to make, to the immigration debate.

Roger Algase
      Attorney at Law
      Nolan rappaport -
      I didnt "misquote" Roger. I prefaced my comment with "apparently." He gives the "impression" of caring much more about refugees than about the threat of terrorism. I will retract that observation if he can show attempts to address the threat of terrorists coming into the country with terrorists in his writings. Has he made any suggestions?
      ImmigrationLawBlogs -
      Nolan's article does not say whether or not he would recommend actually sending Syrian refugees back from Europe, and, to the best of my knowledge, he has not advocated doing so. However, one prominent American, Donald J. Trump has recommended sending Syrian refugees back from the United States, in contrast to his earlier statement that America would need to accept some of them on humanitarian grounds. See:

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-34397272

For an interesting and timely view of the current state of Trump's presidential campaign, see Huffington Post:

Runaway Trump Train Picks Up Speed As Aides Can't Grab The Controls

http:http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/...jz130qqjvsfw29

Roger Algase
      Attorney at Law

ImmigrationLawBlogs -
      Since Nolan understands English just as well as anyone else, I will take the liberty of repeating my original comment:

I suggested that

"...we should find reasonable ways to fulfill humanitarian obligations while protecting the citizens of the host countries."

I also stated that even one or two dozen refugee attacks (compared to the four million refugees in Europe) are one or two dozen too many, with regard to terrorist attacks,

"the ideal number is zero".

Nolan should either explain what there is in the above statements that "apparently" "gives the impression" of caring more about refugees than about the victims of terrorism. This is an extremely serious, and totally unfounded charge, which Nolan, with all due respect to his clearly genuine concern for the safety and security of the citizens of host countries, one which I fully share and support, should retract.

If I understand Nolan's comments correctly, they seem to express a dichotomy between concern for public safety and protection against terrorism and concern for protecting the human rights of refugees, as if it were impossible to have both. Again with only the highest respect for Nolan and his distinguished record of legal scholarship, I disagree.

There are many ways to combat terror. More effective police procedures are one. Why was the monster who beheaded the innocent French priest let loose, even though he was well known to the French police? Without any doubt, the best possible screening that our intelligence services are capable of is also essential. Canada has pledged to admit up to 25,000 Syrian refugees and has been conducting careful and intensive screening. How many terrorist attacks by Syrian refugees have taken place in that country?

Direct military action by the US to wipe out ISIS, even though it would mean risking the lives of brave, American soldiers such a Humayun Khan, who gave his life for his country, and whose Gold Star parents Donald Trump has so unconscionably defamed, should also be considered. But stirring up fear and resentment against four million innocent, non-terrorist refugees in Europe for the actions of a despicable, inhuman, few, is not the answer.

There is also one other step that America could take to relieve the refugee crisis. This would be to get rid of Syria's brutal ruler, Bashar al-Assad. who is being propped up by none other than the Russian dictator, Vladimir Putin. This is just one more reason why Donald Trump's connections with Putin need to be looked at very closely, as well as the question whether Putin is interfering in our election in order to help Trump.

Is Donald more interested in protecting the American people from influence or control by a powerful foreign tyrant for whom Trump has had at least some kind words, or is his main concern advancing his own business interests in Russia?

The American people need to know, for the sake of our own safety, security and freedom.

Roger Algase
      Attorney at Law.

Nolan Rappaport -
      Quote Originally Posted by ImmigrationLawBlogs View Post
      Nolan's article does not say whether or not he would recommend actually sending Syrian refugees back from Europe, and, to the best of my knowledge, he has not advocated doing so. However, one prominent American, Donald J. Trump has recommended sending Syrian refugees back from the United States, in contrast to his earlier statement that America would need to accept some of them on humanitarian grounds.
      Roger Algase Attorney at Law
      I assumed that the Syrian refugees who aren't given refugee status would be sent back to Syria....if possible. In fact, I don't think it will be possible. I mentioned in my article that the German gov't has denied refugee status to 170,000 of the applicants and tried to get them to leave, but they haven't done it. Probably never will. The problem is that asylum and refugee status are not available to aliens fleeing the violence of a war torn country unless they are subject to it on account of race, religion, membership in a particular social group, or political opinion. The truth is that very few can meet this criterion. They need help and they should receive it, but asylum and refugee status aren't a way to get it unless the law on those subjects is distorted.

And Trump is not the only person who wants to deport people who come from violent countries and can't establish eligibility for relief in the US. President Obama does it all of the time. He deports unaccompanied alien children back to Central America if they do not qualify for asylum.
      Nolan Rappaport -
      Roger says, "Nolan should either explain what there is in the above statements that "apparently" "gives the impression" of caring more about refugees than about the victims of terrorism. This is an extremely serious, and totally unfounded charge, which Nolan, with all due respect to his clearly genuine concern for the safety and security of the citizens of host countries, one which I fully share and support, should retract."

I did explain. I said that you show great sympathy for refugees and I could have added, great hostility towards people who don't want to help them; but you never mention the need to prevent terrorists from coming into the US among the refugees. In any case, I retract my comment now. In your latest remark, you do suggest ways to deal with that problem. You increase the credibility of your talk about helping the refugees when you address the concerns of people who are afraid that terrorists will be among them. Then people can say that "apparently" you are objective in your analysis of the situation.
Put Free Immigration Law Headlines On Your Website

Immigration Daily: the news source for legal professionals. Free! Join 35000+ readers Enter your email address here: