free information!
Copyright
© 1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

• News: President Obama on the Supreme Court Ruling on Immigration Reform

Here's an excerpt of President Obama's remarks on the immigration ruling:

"As disappointing as it was to be challenged for taking the kinds of actions that other administrations have taken, the country was looking to the Supreme Court to resolve the important legal questions raised in this case. But today, the Supreme Court was unable to reach a decision. This is part of the consequence of the Republican failure so far to give a fair hearing to Mr. Merrick Garland, my nominee to the Supreme Court. That means that the expanded set of commonsense deferred action policies -- the ones I announced two years ago -- can't go forward at this stage until there’s a ninth justice on the court to break the tie.

"I know a lot of people are going to be disappointed today. But it’s important to understand what today means. The deferred action policy that has been in place for the last four years is not affected by this ruling. Enforcement priorities developed by my Administration are not affected by this ruling. This means that the people who might have benefited from the expanded deferred action policies -- long-term residents raising children who are Americans or legal residents -- they will remain low priorities for enforcement. As long as you haven’t committed a crime, our limited immigration enforcement resources are not focused on you.

"But, today’s decision is frustrating to those who seek to grow our economy and bring a rationality into our immigration system -- and to allow people to come out of the shadows and lift this perpetual cloud on them. I think it is heartbreaking for the millions of immigrants who’ve made their lives here; who’ve raised families here; who've hoped for the opportunity to work, pay taxes, serve in our military, and more fully contribute to this country we all love in an open way."

Stay tuned for more about what this ruling means for families and our immigration system.

Comments 1 Comment
      Nolan Rappaport -
      I was hoping for a decision on the merits too, but I am not as disappointed with the outcome of the decision as President Obama appears to be.

First, according to the PEW Research Center, if the Obama Administration had gone forward with the Deferred Action for Parents of Americans (DAPA) Program, it would have brought the total of undocumented aliens with temporary lawful status and work authorization up to 5.4 million immigrants. That's almost half of the current population of undocumented immigrants. I think that would have taken away a lot of the pressure to move forward with compromises that would make an agreement with the Republicans possible. We need permanent relief for the undocumented, not temporary relief. It has been 30 years since the last legalization program was established by IRCA in 1986.

Second, DACA and DAPA put a target on the backs of the participants. It makes it possible to put together a list of aliens who have admitted unlawful status and provided their their names and addresses. If you think that is a good thing, you need to read my article, "President Obama’s use of executive discretion could have unintended consequences if Donald Trump becomes our next president," (March 7, 2016), http://www.ilw.com/articles/2016,0307-Rappaport.pdf
Put Free Immigration Law Headlines On Your Website

Immigration Daily: the news source for legal professionals. Free! Join 35000+ readers Enter your email address here: