publisher - over
50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

• Article: Undocumented aliens who entered the United States before 1972, and have resided here continuously since then, may be eligible for lawful status under the little-known Registry legalization program. By Nolan Rappaport

Undocumented aliens who entered the United States before 1972, and have resided here continuously since then, may be eligible for lawful status under the little-known Registry legalization program

by

If you are having difficulty viewing this document please click here.

Reprinted with permission.

About The Author

Nolan Rappaport was detailed to the House Judiciary Committee as an Executive Branch Immigration Law Expert for three years; he subsequently served as the immigration counsel for the Subcommittee on Immigration, Border Security, and Claims for four years. Prior to working on the Judiciary Committee, he wrote decisions for the Board of Immigration Appeals for twenty years. He also has been a policy advisor for the DHS Office of Information Sharing and Collaboration under a contract with TKC Communications, and he has been in private practice as an immigration lawyer at Steptoe & Johnson.

The opinions expressed in this article do not necessarily reflect the opinion of ILW.COM.

Comments 3 Comments
      Retired INS -
      True, IRA, passed in 1986, had a little noticed sentence changing registry from 1948 to 1972. Despite having little notice, the INS was able to inform thousands of potential amnesty applicants they could apply for registry instead. It was cheaper and faster and led directly to a green card. I'm sure there may be a few who entered prior to 1972 who never legalized their status. Most are probably women who didn't work outside the home. Now would be a good time to apply and qualify for benefits. My office in Fresno processed hundreds of these applicants during the six month period before legalization (amnesty) began on May 5, 1987.
      Retired INS -
      Quote Originally Posted by Retired INS View Post
      True, IRA, passed in 1986, had a little noticed sentence changing registry from 1948 to 1972. Despite having little notice, the INS was able to inform thousands of potential amnesty applicants they could apply for registry instead. It was cheaper and faster and led directly to a green card. I'm sure there may be a few who entered prior to 1972 who never legalized their status. Most are probably women who didn't work outside the home. Now would be a good time to apply and qualify for benefits. My office in Fresno processed hundreds of these applicants during the six month period before legalization (amnesty) began on May 5, 1987.
      My proof reading was sloppy. The law was IRCA, passed Nov. 6, 1986 and became effective on May 5, 1987. I was the INS officer in Charge in Fresno and did the outreach for legalization in Central California. I was able to convince many applicants to apply for registry instead.
      Unregistered123 -
      can someone with a deporation order from 1986 who was here before 197 apply to INS or must he go back to court?
Put Free Immigration Law Headlines On Your Website

Immigration Daily: the news source for legal professionals. Free! Join 35000+ readers Enter your email address here: