American
Immigration LLC.

• News: SSA Changes Regarding Alien Evidence for an SSN

Identification Number: RM 10211 TN 24
    Intended Audience:See Transmittal Sheet
    Originating Office:ORDP OISP
    Title:Alien Evidence for an SSN
    Type:POMS Transmittals
    Program:Records Maintenance (Earnings & Enumeration)
    Link To Reference:
    PROGRAM OPERATIONS MANUAL SYSTEM
    Part 01 - Records Maintenance
    Chapter 102 - The Social Security Number, Policy and General Procedures
    Subchapter 11 - Alien Evidence for an SSN
    Transmittal No. 24, 08/03/2014

Audience
    FO/TSC
    : CR, CR TII, CR TXVI, DRT, DT, FR, OA, OS, RR, SR, TA, TE, TSC-SR
    PSC: CA, SCPS, ICDS, CS, TSA, TST, IES, ISRA, RECONR
    MAMPSC: DMS, ISRA, OAS, SPIKE
    OCO-OIO: ANC, CR, CAQCR, CTE, FCR

Originating Component
    OISP

Effective Date
    August 3, 2014

Background
    Effective August 3, 2014, we will discontinue use of the Worldwide Refugee Admission Processing System (WRAPS) fax process for verifying refugee status for Enumeration purposes. This transmittal removes the WRAPS fax verification process from RM 10211.185, Evidence of Refugee Status for a Social Security Number (SSN) Card. Instead of the fax process, field office personnel must follow workaround instructions within the Social Security Number Application Process (SSNAP) to request a Systematic Alien Verification for Entitlements (SAVE) additional verification when the SAVE initial verification response does not verify refugee status.

Summary of Changes

RM 10211.185 Evidence of Refugee Status for an SSN Card

Subsection C -
    We removed duplicate information.

Subsection D - We removed the WRAPS verification procedures. This section now provides background on the WRAPS workaround.

Subsection E - We replaced WRAPS fax sheet instructions with step action chart for the WRAPS workaround.

Subsection F - We replaced the exhibit of the WRAPS fax sheet with an exhibit of the workaround page, which includes the steps field office personnel must take after SSNAP displays the workaround page.

Subsection G - We removed the exhibit of the WRAPS response and provided references.

RM-102-11-185 Evidence of Refugee Status for an SSN Card

A. Policy for evidence of refugee status

Treat Social Security Number (SSN) applicants who submit evidence of refugee status as permanent resident aliens with permanent employment authorization from the Department of Homeland Security (DHS). We issue refugees unrestricted SSN cards (cards without a legend).

NOTE: Refugees applying for an original SSN may submit only one document to prove age, identity, and immigration status for an SSN card. For more information, see RM 10210.020.

B. Acceptable evidence of refugee status

1. Form I-94 (Arrival Departure Record) with refugee admission stamp

The Form I-94 presented by a refugee must have an admission stamp that shows the:

• legend “Admitted as a refugee pursuant to section 207 of the INA. If you depart the U.S., you will need prior permission from INS to return”;

• port of entry (POE), date of inspection, and inspection officer's identification; and

• words “employment authorized.”

In addition, Form I-94 issued to a refugee:

• does not show a class of admission (or alien classification code);

• generally, does not show a period of admission. In some cases, the stamp may show “indefinite” or a specific period;

• may show a handwritten departure number when Customs and Border Protection (CBP) electronically assigns the alien an I-94 number in its system. In these situations, the handwritten departure number supersedes the preprinted number. The preprinted number may or may not be crossed out;

• generally, shows a typed or handwritten alien registration number (A# or ARN) on the front or back of the I-94, in addition to the I-94 admission number.

An alien granted refugee status as a result of applying as “following to join” the principal refugee will generally have the tear-off I-94 portion of Form I-797A (Notice of Action). This type of I-94 shows the legend “Admitted as a refugee pursuant to section 207 of the Act. If you depart the U.S., you will need prior permission to return.” The tear-off I-94, like the regular I-94, does not show an alien class of admission (or alien classification code).

See Details:

• Administrative Confidential Memorandum for an exhibit of the most recent DHS refugee stamps.

• RM 10211.135 Evidence of Non-Immigrant Status for an Social Security Number (SSN) Card.

• RM 10211.140 Entering Non-Immigrant Evidence into the Enumeration System.

2. Form I-766 (Employment Authorization Document) with category A3

A refugee applying for an SSN card may submit an I-766 as evidence of authority to work. If a refugee submits an I-766 but does not submit an I-94 establishing refugee status per RM 10211.185B.1., in this section, accept it as evidence that he or she is a refugee when the I-766 shows “A3,” “A03” or “A-3” under Category. When an I-766 shows these codes, be sure to select the appropriate entry in the drop-down list on the “Proof of Alien Status” screen in Social Security Number Application Process (SSNAP).

As evidence of employment authorization, a refugee who is “following to join” may also have an I-766 in addition to the tear-off Form I-94 portion of Form I-797A. Accept the I-766 with Category A3 as evidence of refugee status when it meets the criteria in RM 10211.185B.2.

NOTE: See the ACM for an example of Form I-766.

C. Verifying refugee status through the Systematic Alien Verification for Entitlements (SAVE)

As with all DHS immigration statuses, we must verify refugee status. Request a SAVE Initial Verification (IV) per RM 10214.110. You do not need to wait 10 days after the refugee’s arrival to make the IV request. For more information about the 10-day policy, see RM 10213.305. The SAVE IV response verifies refugee status when the DHS response is “Refugee – Employment Authorized.”

If the IV response confirms Lawfully Permanent Residence (LPR) status, determine if the LPR response is acceptable based on the document submitted per RM 10211.025.

D. Procedure when the SAVE IV response does not verify refugee status

If the SAVE IV response does not verify refugee status per RM 10211.185C, in this section, immediately request a SAVE Additional Verification (AV) in all instances.

We no longer use the Worldwide Refugee Admission Processing System (WRAPS) fax verification process to verify refugee status. The WRAPS questions may still appear in the SSNAP path. Until we remove the WRAPS questions and functionality from SSNAP, follow the WRAPS work-around provided in RM 10211.185E, in this section, when the IV response does not verify refugee status and the WRAPS questions appear on the SAVE Verification screen.

E. SSNAP WRAPS workaround

If the SAVE IV response did not verify refugee status and the WRAPS questions appear on the SAVE Verification screen, take the following actions:

Step

Action

On the SAVE Verification screen, answer “Yes” to the question, “Do you want to print a WRAPS fax?” Click continue.

Go to Step 2.

Continue to the Forms screen. Under Select Form to print, select “WRAPS fax.” Click continue.

Go to Step 3.

The Print Forms screen will display the next steps of the WRAPS work-around. You are not required to print this document. However, you may print the WRAPS work-around to guide you through the next steps in SSNAP. Continue to the end of the SSNAP path through the Verify and Sign screen.

Go to Step 4.

Re-enter the SSNAP application in the Update mode.

Go to Step 5.

On the SAVE Verification screen:

• Answer “No” to the question, “Did the WRAPS fax verify Refugee status?” and

• Answer “Yes” to the question, “Submit Additional Verification Request to SAVE?” and click continue.

Go to Step 6.

Continue to the end of the SSNAP path through the Verify and Sign screen. Select Continue to save the updates.

F. Exhibit of WRAPS work-around page

Until we eliminate the WRAPS verification process from SSNAP, the system will generate a WRAPS work-around page in certain situations when the SAVE IV response does not verify refugee status. The WRAPS work-around page provides the steps field office personnel must take after SSNAP displays the work-around page, also shown beginning in RM 10211.185E. Step 3.

While not required, you will still be able to print a WRAPS page in SSNAP. This is an exhibit of the WRAPS work-around page.

Image of WRAPS Fax Form DISCONTINUED

G. References

• RM 10210.020 Number of Documents Required for an SSN Card

• RM 10211.025 Evidence of Lawful Permanent Resident (LPR) Status for an SSN Card

• RM 10211.135 Evidence of Non-Immigrant Status for an SSN Card

• RM 10214.150 Requesting Systematic Alien Verification for Entitlements (SAVE) Additional Verification (AV) of Immigration Documents

Please Note: Some of the links in this message may not be visible to the general public. These links lead to specific instructions only meant for Social Security employees.
Put Free Immigration Law Headlines On Your Website

Immigration Daily: the news source for legal professionals. Free! Join 35000+ readers Enter your email address here: