publisher - over
50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
© 1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

• Article: DACA Recipients- filling out college application forms. What you need to know! BY Grace Kennedy

filling out college application forms. What you need to know!

by Grace Kennedy

Last night, I received the following e-mail from a client of mine who has an approved DACA petition:

"Hello. I have the dream act card.

I am applying for college and was wondering which US residency AND Georgia residency options I should choose. I've attached screenshots of what all of the options on the application look like. Please get back to me as soon as possible (preferably by tomorrow afternoon) because I need to submit the application."

Sorry this is last minute and thanks for your help."

Here are the screen shots he sent me.

For those in DACA status, the answer to this question is "Other." You are not a citizen or lawful permanent resident of the United States if you are in DACA status. A false claim to United States citizenship could cause you very serious problems in the future.
    The answer to the second question, what kind of visa do you hold or intend to obtain?  Check "Other."
    How to answer "How many years have you lived in the United States?"- just tell the truth!

Do you claim to be a legal resident of Georgia for tuition purposes?   No. For now, most DACA recipients will not be able to get in-state tuition but they may qualify to have the non-resident portion of their tuition waived via a tuition waiver. The DACA non-resident tuition waiver may be combined with other scholarships. You should see what’s available to you by contacting Admissions or the Financial Aid Office at the school you are applying to.

Originally appeared on Musings on Immigration: An Immigration Attorney's Perspective on Life, Liberty, and Happiness. Reprinted with Permission.

About The Author

Grace KennedyGrace Kennedy holds a Bachelor of Laws Degree from the National University of Ireland, Dublin ( Honors, 1999) and a Master of Laws Degree from Emory University School of Law (2001). Ms. Kennedy has extensive experience in immigration related adoption issues, family immigration, bonds, removal defense and international business.

The opinions expressed in this article are those of the author(s) alone and should not be imputed to ILW.COM.
Put Free Immigration Law Headlines On Your Website

Immigration Daily: the news source for legal professionals. Free! Join 35000+ readers Enter your email address here: