Copyright
© 1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

• Article: Regional Centers for Sale by H. Ronald Klasko

Regional Centers for Sale

by H. Ronald Klasko

I recently represented clients in two proceedings before the new USCIS Decision Board.  One involved an ultimately successful exemplar I-526 petition and regional center designation based upon tenant occupancy jobs.  I will report on that in my next blog.

The other involved the sale of a regional center.  Based upon that case, I can state somewhat more confidently than before what I believe the USCIS position to be in this murky subject matter area.

The USCIS position appears to be that the acquisition of a regional center can be accomplished by the purchase of stock, but not by the purchase of assets.  USCIS has not stated a legal basis for this conclusion, nor has it suggested the ramifications of a completed asset purchase.

Assuming the stock of a regional center is purchased, is there a necessity to file a regional center amendment application?  The USCIS position appears to be that such an amendment application is optional.  That position is consistent both with the instructions to Form I-924 and with the May 30, 2013 comprehensive policy memorandum.  Both reference the possibility – but not the requirement – of filing an amendment application to notify USCIS of a change in the “organization or administration” of the regional center.  A change in stock ownership is not a change in organization or administration.  However, if there are new owners of the regional center, there probably is a change in the organization or administration.

Should the optional amendment application be filed?  The answer may not be the same in every context.  Counsel should be consulted on this decision.

If there is a change in the organization or administration and the regional center opts to file an amendment application, does the pendency of the amendment application prevent the regional center from doing business as usual, including marketing for investors and having investors file I-526 petitions?  The USCIS position appears to be that the regional center can do business as usual while such an amendment application is pending.

I want to emphasize two points.  First, what I purport to be the USCIS position is extrapolated from statements made by USCIS during the course of RFEs, NOIDs and ultimately a decision from the Decision Board.  None of these is precedential, nor were these positions ever clearly stated.  Rather, the USCIS position appears to be evolving.

Second, different regional center designation approval notices have different language regarding changes in ownership.  A regional center seeking to be sold, and individuals or companies seeking to acquire a regional center, should review the language in the regional center approval notice and consult with counsel prior to making a decision on the appropriate course of action.

Originally published on the Klako Immigration Blog. Reprinted with permission.

About The Author

H. Ronald KlaskoH. Ronald Klasko is recognized by businesses, universities, hospitals, scholars, investors and other lawyers as one of the country’s leading immigration lawyers. A founding member of Klasko, Rulon, Stock & Seltzer, LLP and its Managing Partner, he has practiced immigration law exclusively over three decades. Under his leadership, the firm was chosen with five other firms by Chambers Global in 2006, 2007, 2008 and 2009 as the top U.S. business, hospital and university immigration law firm. Ron, himself, was named as the world’s most respected corporate immigration lawyer (The International Who’s Who of Business Lawyers 2007 and 2008) and one of the country’s top immigration lawyers by clients and other immigration lawyers who said he is “revered for coming up with unique arguments that can save a client” (Chambers Global). A former National President of the American Immigration Lawyers Association (AILA), Ron served as General Counsel of that organization for three Presidents and has been a member of its Board of Governors since 1980. He has served as National Chair of AILA’s U.S. Department of Labor Liaison Committee and Business Immigration Committee, and he served as National Chair of that organization’s INS General Counsel Liaison Committee, Department of Labor Liaison Committee, and the National Task Forces on Labor Certifications, H-1 visas, L-1 visas and Employer Sanctions. He presently serves as Chair of the EB-5 Committee.

The opinions expressed in this article are those of the author(s) alone and should not be imputed to ILW.COM.
Put Free Immigration Law Headlines On Your Website

Immigration Daily: the news source for legal professionals. Free! Join 35000+ readers Enter your email address here: