publisher - over
50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

• Blogging: Is There Any Room For Optimism About CIR Passage in the House of Representatives? by Roger Algase

Bloggings on Immigration Law

by Roger Algase

Is There Any Room For Optimism About CIR Passage in the House of Representatives?

After my pessimistic post on July 10 concerning the outlook for CIR in the Republican-controlled House, based on a July 9 Politico article, I was hoping for some sign that I was being too gloomy.

I thought that there might be some positive news when I came across another Politico article: GOP reaching out to Dems on immigration (July 10).

But when I read the article, the content was less encouraging than the headline. The only issues which House Republicans seem interested in "reaching out" to the Democrats about are border security and e-verify.

The article states:

"There was no real sense about whether the GOP will try to reform the high-skilled and low-skilled visa process, providing a new pathway to citizenship for illegal immigrants or how they will tackle the plethora of other issues included in the Senate bill.

Most notably, the party is still deeply divided on what to do about the nearly 11 million illegal immigrants in the country."

House Republicans say they want to take a "piecemeal" approach to immigration reform instead of the "comprehensive" approach in the Senate bill.

But the only "pieces" they are interested in considering are the same "enforcement-only" ones that have been at the heart of their anti-immigrant ideology for at least the past two decades.

The July 10 Huffington Post also offers an explanation for the lack of interest among House Republicans in even discussing real reform in its July 10 article: Republicans Have A New Problem With Immigration Reform: Obama:

"Rep. Mo Brooks of Alabama took up the mantle of defiance, telling reporters he recited an obscure verse from 'America the Beautiful' to rally his colleagues to oppose any pathway to citizenship for undocumented immigrants...

Earning a dwindling share of the Latino vote may be a problem for Republicans nationally, but a congressman such as Brooks gets reelected primarily with support from white Alabama voters. Like him, many southern Republicans have little national ambition, and therefore little cause to support reform. "

As the Republican party becomes more and more of a Southern regional party of well off white men, the GOP's opposition to immigration, with its ethnic, cultural and economic diversity, can only be expected to become more radical and intense.

This would explain why House Republicans seem less interested in even considering or discussing reform, but more interested in finding ways to blame President Obama and the Democrats for its failure.

The Huffpost article continues:

"Many Republicans continue to reject the basic legitimacy of the Obama presidency, and they don't trust the president to faithfully carry out laws design to secure the border..."

And this is with regard to a president who has deported more people, and at a faster rate, than any other president in living memory.

This summer marks the 50th anniversary of the historic civil rights March on Washington, led by Martin Luther King Jr., one of the greatest Americans in our entire history, is it time for another march, this one on Capitol Hill, for immigration rights?

About The Author

Roger Algase is a graduate of Harvard College and Harvard Law School. He has been practicing business immigration law in New York City for more than 20 years.

The opinions expressed in this article are those of the author(s) alone and should not be imputed to ILW.COM.
Put Free Immigration Law Headlines On Your Website

Immigration Daily: the news source for legal professionals. Free! Join 35000+ readers Enter your email address here: