publisher - over
50000 pages of
free information!
© 1995-
Immigration LLC.

• Article: AILA and Election Results by Harry DeMell

AILA and Election Results

Harry DeMell

It is time for the American Immigration Lawyer’s Association’s (AILA) annual conference where the election results for their officers and board members will be announced. The results should be announced in numbers not just a list of winners.

It has been the policy of AILA to just announce the results without giving out the numbers. No democracy I have ever heard of would do this. Even dictatorial regimes such as communist, Islamic, or military announce results even if they do stack the deck in their favor. I have never heard of any other organization do this.

I am not saying that AILA is any of these things but I am saying that for an election to be fair and open an accounting needs to take place.

In the interest in a fair and open election, in the interest of good democracy and in the interest of a transparent process we need an election where all the results are open to all. Those who compile the results should be available to explain them at the annual meeting and it might also be wise to break the vote down by chapter.

Anything less would demean our organization and all that it stands for.

About The Author

Harry DeMell is an Attorney practicing exclusively in the area of Visa, Immigration and Nationality Law since 1977.

The opinions expressed in this article are those of the author(s) alone and should not be imputed to ILW.COM.
    Comments 1 Comment
      Beverley S Brown -
      I suppose that the leadership never believed the numbers to be important. Why would they think the numbers were of consequence when generally the positions have been uncontested? I do think that the leadership should do more to have at least two people nominated for each position. Then membership would have reason to believe they had a choice in the direction the organization was taking.
Put Free Immigration Law Headlines On Your Website

Immigration Daily: the news source for legal professionals. Free! Join 35000+ readers Enter your email address here: