publisher - over
50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

• Blogging: Congress Debates CIR - While the Deportations Go On By Roger Algase

Bloggings on Immigration Law

by Roger Algase

Congress Debates CIR - While the Deportations Go On

As CIR moves through the Senate through a minefield of anti-immigrant amendments, heading on a possible collision course with what could turn out to be an even more "enforcement" oriented House bill (if there is one), with more and more people thrown under the bus in a desperate effort to reach a compromise with right wing Republicans anxious to appease their party's dwindling Southern white male base, the Obama administration's record-setting deportations continue almost unabated.

Does the fact that there is so little let-up in the deportation mill (aside from DREAMERS's and some others lucky enough to be granted administrative "deferred action") have anything to do with the fact that there is so much pressure for Congressional negotiators to keep moving to the right in order to have any hope of getting a CIR bill passed?

The anti-immigrant lobby's complaint that CIR needs to have ever tougher (and more impossible to achieve) "enforcement" triggers rings hollow in the face of the reality of President Obama's 400,000 deportations per year. As the Huffington Post stated in its April 24 article: Deportations Continue As Congress Seeks Immigration Reform:

"The Obama administration has disrupted a record number of lives in proving to Republicans that it is tough when it comes to enforcement, promising the immigrant community a better future while it infuses their present lives with fear, uncertainty and heartbreak. For many of those whose lives have become currency in the political exchange, there will be no redemption."

If, in contrast, the administration were to declare a moratorium on deportations in all except the most egregious cases, such as those involving violent criminals or threats to national security, would the pressure not then be on immigration opponents to compromise in order to get a reform bill through which Republicans need even more urgently for their own survival than the Democrats do?

As immigration opponent Patrick Buchanan wrote at the end of a column discussed in my May 13 Immigration Daily blogging, I am just asking.

About The Author

Roger Algase is a graduate of Harvard College and Harvard Law School. He has been practicing business immigration law in New York City for more than 20 years.

The opinions expressed in this article are those of the author(s) alone and should not be imputed to ILW.COM.
    Comments 3 Comments
      Female Obama voter -
      I am a female, 45 years old, an Obama voter in 08, and not a member of the dwindling white Southern male base, yet I am opposed to this amnesty. I think we should REDUCE legal immigration for a decade to let the real unemployment rate fall back down to 4%. Also, the Boston bombings frighten me. Those terrorists should have been deported a long time ago, yet our government cannot handle the criminal immigrant population it has.
      RogerAlgase -
      Female Obama voter's comment shows that anti-immigrant prejudice is by no means limited to white Southern males.

Nor do I mean to suggest that all white Southern men are bigoted. This is certainly not the case. Making scapegoats out of immigrants for America's problems relating to the economy, security, or whatever else, is an equal opportunity game in which anyone can participate.

Roger Algase
      Milosao -
      Roger,

I'd like you to shed some light on a question, now that the S. 744 cleared off the Judiciary Committee and is heading for debate on the Senate floor.

I know a case of an over 30-years old, unmarried son of a U.S. citizen, legal entry, with an expired student (F1) visa. The I-130 petition filed on his behalf (by his father) has been approved and already has a current priority date.

Hence, the question:

Does this bill in its actual form provide for a path to green card for people in this category, without being subjected to become RPI-s and wait for an additional 10-13 years? Would they be able to adjust to a green card status as soon as (and if) this bill passes? Does the bill provide a path to adjustment for people with approved petitions I-130, but who have an expired visa?

Thanks in advance.

Put Free Immigration Law Headlines On Your Website

Immigration Daily: the news source for legal professionals. Free! Join 35000+ readers Enter your email address here: