publisher - over
50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
© 1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

• Article: Siskind for AILA Board of Governors Campaign Statement by Greg Siskind

Siskind for AILA Board of Governors Campaign Statement

by Greg Siskind

My name is Greg Siskind and I am a candidate for your Board of Governors. I am running for a second term on the BOG. Many of you know me from the blog I have been writing regularly on this site for the last seven years. Some of you may not know me very well, if at all. So I appreciate the opportunity to introduce myself.

I have been a member of AILA since I was in my early 20s and have now been in the organization for half my life. I entered the organization just after massive change in immigration law occurred due to 1990ís IMMACT legislation. And we are likely facing such change again in 2013. I believe my role as an outspoken pro-immigration advocate, an author of several books and hundreds of articles on immigration law, and an active participant in AILA through my service on numerous AILA committees, speaking at dozens of AILA conferences and my participation on the AILA Board of Governors for the last three years makes me a strong candidate worthy to serve the membership during this likely period of change.

When I ran three years ago, we were an organization facing an economic crisis unlike any other most of us has ever faced in our practice. Our organization was facing the challenge of retaining members when many were questioning whether they could afford their dues. 2010 was the only year I can remember where AILA membership actually declined over the course of the year. I wanted to play a role in reversing our membersí fortunes and help them better succeed as business owners and make it clear to those on the fence that AILA membership is a critical part of their budget.

To achieve those goals, I campaigned promising to be an advocate on the board for committing AILA resources to providing law practice management assistance to our members so we could all improve our bottom lines, be more satisfied lawyers and be more effective advocates for our clients.

I also promised to bring my advocacy experience to the board and help the organization remain an effective voice promoting pro-immigration policies. I come from a broad immigration background. Our firm handles business and employment matters, family matters, employer compliance, asylum cases and deportations. So I am personally interested in all aspects of immigration reform and not just one or two. Those of you who read my blog at http://blogs.ilw.com/gregsiskind know that on a given day, Iíll promote STEM legislation, rail against the discriminatory impact of DOMA on families and criticize ICE for its detention policies. Many of you may know that during the 2006-2007 reform debate, I produced section by section summaries of all of the major bills Ė some of them in excess of 1000 pages. For the past decade, Iíve walked the halls of Congress in every AILA National Day of Action. Recently, ABC News named me one of only two immigration lawyers on its list of 20 people to follow on social media to keep up with the immigration debate. In short, I believe Iíve made a difference as an advocate and served our members well.

I believe I delivered for members in my first term. However, there is a learning curve in serving on the AILA board. We are a large and complex organization and it has taken some time to get to know AILA’s workings even though I am a 22 year member. I believe my second term will be even better as Iím able to apply that experience.

Thank you again for your consideration.

About The Author

http://www.visalaw.com/gregpic2.jpg Greg Siskind is a partner in Siskind Susser's Memphis, Tennessee, office. After graduating magna cum laude from Vanderbilt University, he received his Juris Doctorate from the University of Chicago. Mr. Siskind is a member of AILA, a board member of the Hebrew Immigrant Aid Society, and a member of the ABA, where he serves on the LPM Publishing Board as Marketing Vice Chairman. He is the author of several books, including the J Visa Guidebook and The Lawyer's Guide to Marketing on the Internet. Mr. Siskind practices all areas of immigration law, specializing in immigration matters of the health care and technology industries. He can be reached by email at gsiskind@visalaw.com.

The opinions expressed in this article are those of the author(s) alone and should not be imputed to ILW.COM.
Put Free Immigration Law Headlines On Your Website

Immigration Daily: the news source for legal professionals. Free! Join 35000+ readers Enter your email address here: