Connect to us

Make us Homepage

The leading
immigration law
publisher - over
50000 pages of
free information!
Immigration LLC.

• Blogging: Report Casts Doubt on whether ICE is Really Targeting Immigrants with Serious Criminal Histories by Matthew Kolken

Bloggings on Deportation and Removal

by Matthew Kolken

Report Casts Doubt on whether ICE is Really Targeting Immigrants with Serious Criminal Histories.

A report commissioned by the Northwest Defenders Association questions the Obama administration's continued claim that ICE mainly targets immigrants with serious criminal charges and histories.  The report was written by Katherine Beckett, Ph.D., and is entitled Immigration Detainer Requests in King County, Washington: Costs and Consequences.  

From the executive summary:

Nearly two-thirds of the people flagged by ICE were not charged with a felony offense associated with their booking, and approximately one in eight were not charged with any crime at all. Moreover, only one in five people subject to ICE detainer requests and who were charged with a crime had been previously convicted of a felony in Washington State; only 18% had been convicted of a crime against a person in the state. These findings suggest that most people flagged by ICE have not been convicted of a serious crime.

Dr. Beckett also determined that on average people subject to ICE detainers stay in jail 29.2 days longer than others, and that ICE detainer requests result in the increase of an immigrant's detention by 161%.

This isn't anything that readers of this blog don't already know, as there have been numerous reports debunking the administration's claims that the "vast majority" of deportations involve criminal aliens.

Click here to read the full report.

About The Author

Matthew Kolken is a trial lawyer with experience in all aspects of United States Immigration Law including Immigration Courts throughout the United States, and appellate practice before the Board of Immigration Appeals, the U.S. District Courts, and U.S. Courts of Appeals. He is admitted to practice in the courts of the State of New York , the United States District Court for the Western District of New York, the United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit, and is a member of the American Immigration Lawyers Association (AILA).

The opinions expressed in this article are those of the author(s) alone and should not be imputed to ILW.COM.
    Comments 3 Comments
      star_of_truth -
      They are taking any immigrant they can get. They took my husband and charged him for re entries he keeps coming back to me.I told him not to sign anything -I think if he would have signed they wouldn't have pressed charges.I so hoping the law would change it did 4 days before they deported him but it was to late. I wrote to the President , the Senator ICE, Mr. Morton, Janet and others for weeks asking them not to deport him because of my illnesses and disabilities I sent proof , told them what I was going through and I was ignored my phone calls not returned. They moved him so far away I could not visit all the way to the other side of the US. They have placed a greater burden on me because I am trying to support both of us now on $900. a month. He is in a country more dangerous than Mexico he is unable to work .I worried to death about his safety.I am having to look for ways to get money selling, pawning, and not buying needed medicines. My problems have gotten worse.

So my question is why was it so important to deport him when he was no threat to anyone, he took care of me and helped me? I still don’t understand why they didn't consider me at all? When they let so many go and I proved I had a real need ICE still refused to stop his deportation? No one can understand what its like to have someone ripped from your life and he is supposed to forget about me and I am what supposed to do get another husband, wait 10 -20 years that I don’t have? I am too old not only that I don’t want another one. Could you forget your wife, your husband, and your kids?
      Progressive american -
      Call your congressperson and tell them that you do not want them working on illegal alien amnesty while millions of americans are out of jobs. Tell them that if they vote for amnesty for illegal aliens they will be voted out of the office in next elections. Just remember, if they are successful with an amnesty scheme, it is YOU who will be stuck paying for welfare and healthcare of more than 20 millions illegal aliens. Deport illegal aliens!
      star_of_truth -
      You have no idea what you are talking about check the stats/reports on who is getting what and then research how immigrants affect our economy, social security & tax system and don't use white power sites use government or immigration sites. The use your brains to figure out what would happen to our economy and how it would affect us as Americans if they deported them all. I bet at least 80% of Americans have no idea or do they want to know the truth. They are all about their personal wants and beliefs and not what is best for our country .

Most people will never be happy because you want everything to be about you.I got news for you the world does not consist of just you the world was not made for just you, you are not the only one that is human,you are not the only one that deserves to be treated fairly, you are not the only one that matters, you are not the only ones entitled to to exist.We consist of many and all need to be treated as human beings, we all need to change the way we think so far selfish,hateful, self centered isn't working..
Put Free Immigration Law Headlines On Your Website

Immigration Daily: the news source for legal professionals. Free! Join 35000+ readers Enter your email address here: