Home Page

Immigration Daily


Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board



Twitter feed

Immigrant Nation


CLE Workshops

Immigration books

Advertise on ILW

VIP Network




Connect to us

Make us Homepage



The leading
immigration law
publisher - over
50000 pages of
free information!
Immigration LLC.

  • News: DOL Publishes Notice On Allowable Charges for Agricultural Workers' Meals and Travel Subsistence Reimbursement

    [Federal Register Volume 78, Number 48 (Tuesday, March 12, 2013)]
    [Pages 15741-15742]
    From the Federal Register Online via the Government Printing Office [www.gpo.gov]
    [FR Doc No: 2013-05580]
    Employment and Training Administration
    Labor Certification Process for the Temporary Employment of 
    Aliens in Agriculture in the United States: 2013 Allowable Charges for 
    Agricultural Workers' Meals and Travel Subsistence Reimbursement, 
    Including Lodging
    AGENCY: Employment and Training Administration, Department of Labor.
    ACTION: Notice.
    SUMMARY: The Employment and Training Administration (ETA) of the 
    Department of Labor (Department) is issuing this Notice to announce (1) 
    the allowable charges for 2013 that employers seeking H-2A workers may 
    charge their workers when the employer provides three meals a day, and 
    (2) the maximum travel subsistence meal reimbursement that a worker 
    with receipts may claim in 2013. The Notice also includes a reminder 
    regarding employers' obligations with respect to overnight lodging 
    costs as part of required subsistence.
    DATES: Effective Date: This notice is effective on March 12, 2013.
    Administrator, Office of Foreign Labor Certification (OFLC), U.S. 
    Department of Labor, Room C-4312, 200 Constitution Avenue NW., 
    Washington, DC 20210. Telephone: 202-693-3010 (this is not a toll-free 
    SUPPLEMENTARY INFORMATION: The United States (U.S.) Citizenship and 
    Immigration Services of the Department of Homeland Security will not 
    approve an employer's petition for the admission of H-2A nonimmigrant 
    temporary agricultural workers in the U.S. unless the petitioner has 
    received from the Department an H-2A labor certification. The H-2A 
    labor certification provides that: (1) there are not sufficient U.S. 
    workers who are able, willing, and qualified, and who will be available 
    at the time and place needed to perform the labor or services involved 
    in the petition; and (2) the employment of the foreign worker(s) in 
    such labor or services will not adversely affect the wages and working 
    conditions of workers in the U.S. similarly employed. 8 U.S.C. 
    1101(a)(15)(H)(ii)(a), 1184(c)(1), and 1188(a); 8 CFR 214.2(h)(5).
    Allowable Meal Charge
        Among the minimum benefits and working conditions that the 
    Department requires employers to offer their U.S. and H-2A workers are 
    three meals a day or free and convenient cooking and kitchen 
    facilities. 20 CFR 655.122(g). Where the employer provides the meals, 
    the job offer must state the charge, if any, to the worker for such 
    meals. Id.
        The Department provides, at 20 CFR 655.173(a), the methodology for 
    determining the maximum amounts that H-2A agricultural employers may 
    charge their U.S. and foreign workers for providing them with three 
    meals per day during employment. This methodology provides for annual 
    adjustments of the previous year's maximum allowable charge based upon 
    updated Consumer Price Index (CPI) data. The maximum charge allowed by 
    20 CFR 655.122(g) is adjusted by the same percentage as the 12-month 
    percent change in the CPI for all Urban Consumers for Food (CPI-U for 
    Food) \1\. The OFLC Certifying Officer may also permit an employer to 
    charge workers a higher amount for providing them with three meals a 
    day, if the higher amount is justified and sufficiently documented by 
    the employer, as set forth in 20 CFR 655.173(b).
        \1\ Consumer Price Index--December 2012, published January 16, 
    2013 at http://data.bls.gov/pdq/SurveyOutputServlet
        The Department has determined that the percentage change between 
    December of 2011 and December of 2012 for the CPI-U for Food was 2.6 
    percent. Accordingly, the maximum allowable charge under 20 CFR 
    655.122(g) shall be no more than $11.42 per day, unless the OFLC 
    Certifying Officer approves a higher charge as authorized under 20 CFR 
    Reimbursement for Daily Travel Subsistence
        The regulations at 20 CFR 655.122(h) establish that the minimum 
    daily travel subsistence expense for meals, for which a worker is 
    entitled to reimbursement, must be at least as much as the employer 
    would charge for providing the worker with three meals a day during 
    employment (if applicable), but in no event less than the amount 
    permitted under Sec.  655.173(a), i.e. the charge annually adjusted by 
    the 12-month percentage change in CPI for all Urban Consumers for food. 
    The regulation is silent about the maximum amount to which a qualifying 
    worker is entitled.
        The Department bases the maximum meals component of the daily 
    travel subsistence expense on the standard minimum Continental United 
    States (CONUS) per diem rate as established by the General Services 
    Administration (GSA) at 41 CFR part 301, formerly published in Appendix 
    A, and now found at www.gsa.gov/perdiem. The CONUS minimum meals 
    component remains $46.00 per day for 2013.\2\ Workers who qualify for 
    travel reimbursement are entitled to reimbursement for meals up to the 
    CONUS meal rate when they provide receipts. In determining the 
    appropriate amount of reimbursement for meals for less than a full day, 
    the employer may provide for meal expense reimbursement, with receipts, 
    to 75 percent of the maximum reimbursement for meals of $34.50, as 
    provided for in the GSA per diem schedule. If a worker has no receipts, 
    the employer is not obligated to reimburse above the minimum stated at 
    20 CFR 655.173(a) as specified above.
        \2\ Maximum Per Diem Rates for the Continental United States 
    (CONUS), 77 FR 54578 (Sept. 5, 2012); see also www.gsa.gov/perdiem.
        The term ``subsistence'' includes both meals and lodging during 
    travel to and from the worksite. Therefore, an employer is responsible 
    for providing, paying in advance, or reimbursing a worker for the 
    reasonable costs of transportation and daily subsistence between the 
    employer's worksite and the place from which the worker comes to work 
    for the employer, if the worker completes 50 percent of the work 
    contract period, and upon the worker completing the contract, return 
    costs. In those instances where a worker must travel to obtain a visa 
    so that the worker may enter the U.S. to come to work for the employer, 
    the employer must pay for the transportation and daily subsistence 
    costs of that part of the travel as well.
    [[Page 15742]]
        The Department interprets the regulation to require the employer to 
    assume responsibility for the reasonable costs associated with the 
    worker's travel, including transportation, food, and, in those 
    instances where it is necessary, lodging. The minimum and maximum daily 
    travel meal reimbursement amounts are established above. If 
    transportation and lodging are not provided by the employer, the amount 
    an employer must pay for transportation and, where required, lodging, 
    must be no less than (and is not required to be more than) the most 
    economical and reasonable costs. The employer is responsible for those 
    costs necessary for the worker to travel to the worksite if the worker 
    completes 50 percent of the work contract period, but is not 
    responsible for unauthorized detours, and if the worker completes the 
    contract, return transportation and subsistence costs, including 
    lodging costs where necessary. This policy applies equally to instances 
    where the worker is traveling within the U.S. to the employer's 
        For further information on when the employer is responsible for 
    lodging costs, please see the Department's H-2A Frequently Asked 
    Questions on Travel and Daily Subsistence, which may found on the OFLC 
    Web site: http://www.foreignlaborcert.doleta.gov/.
         Signed in Washington, DC on this 27th day of February, 2013.
    Jane Oates,
    Assistant Secretary, Employment and Training Administration.
    [FR Doc. 2013-05580 Filed 3-11-13; 8:45 am]
Put Free Immigration Law Headlines On Your Website

Immigration Daily: the news source for legal professionals. Free! Join 35000+ readers Enter your email address here: