free information!
© 1995-
Immigration LLC.

• Articles RSS Feed

Published on 07-16-2012 03:08 PM

Bloggings on Dysfunctional Government

Jennifer Oltarsh

woman behind fence

Immigration laws are increasingly more complex.  When the laws deprive individuals of discretionary decisions, the result comes with a heavy price for individuals, their families and our country.

Each time the government passes ...

Published on 07-16-2012 03:03 PM

Visas For Entrepreneurs: How Countries Are Seeking Out Immigrant Job Creators

by Madeleine Sumption For The Migration Information Source

June 2012

Across the advanced industrialized world, even governments that are skeptical about the benefits of immigration tend to open their doors to the so-called "best and the brightest" — exceptionally skilled immigrants who bring new knowledge and innovations. For both economic and political reasons, the higher the skill level of prospective immigrants, the fewer restrictions governments tend to impose to entry.

Immigrant entrepreneurs are among the most desirable of these highly skilled newcomers —especially immigrants behind high-tech and high-growth startups that policymakers find particularly appealing. Most governments want to boost entrepreneurship, but reliable and feasible policies to do so have proved elusive. In recent years, however, policymakers have often turned to immigration as a small but direct channel to facilitate startups by increasing the supply of willing and able entrepreneurs.

An increasing popular way to do this is through entrepreneur visas. In May, Australia announced a revamped visa program to admit immigrants with entrepreneurial skills. Ireland recently made it easier for prospective entrepreneurs to qualify for visas. And the United Kingdom, which introduced a new entrepreneur visa in 2008, in April added an additional route tailored for recent graduates from UK universities with entrepreneurial ambitions. Earlier, in 2009, New Zealand adjusted its own immigration program to create a fast track to permanent residence for the most successful entrepreneurs. And in the United States, bills to establish visas for immigrant entrepreneurs have been introduced with bipartisan support but have to date not been put to a vote, while Canada's immigration minister recently announced a consultation ...

Published on 07-13-2012 01:47 PM

Bloggings on Immigration Law and Policy

Greg Siskind

July 12, 2012

Published on 07-13-2012 01:46 PM

Bloggings on Immigration Law

Roger Algase

Jul 13, 2012

Published on 07-13-2012 01:44 PM

Bloggings on Nurse and Allied Health Immigration

Chris Musillo

July 12, 2012

July 10, 2012
    Published on 07-13-2012 01:42 PM

Georgetown Professor's New Book Says Immigration Is Among The Reasons Why The USA Will Remain A Preeminent World Leader

by Mark Harrington

Georgetown Professor of Government & International Affairs Robert J. Leiber has written an excellent new book that should be required reading for all policy wonks, including all of us who are concerned with Immigration ...

Published on 07-12-2012 01:23 PM

Bloggings on Deportation and Removal

Matthew Kolken

Obama Administration's next target may be Sanctuary Cities

It has been reported that ICE Director John Morton has asked Attorney General Holder to take legal action against Cook County, Illinois for their failure to deliver undocumented immigrants to ICE for deportation.  Cook County currently is not utilizing the Secure Communities fingerprint sharing (a.k.a. racial profiling) program.

Director Morton has stated that: “Right now, it’s not a question of Cook County releasing some individuals to us,” “They are releasing no individuals to us, including very violent offenders, and I just don’t think that’s good policy.”

It has been further reported that DHS Secretary Napolitano is also "fed up" with Cook County, and is pushing for legal action that would require the County to comply.

One option also being considered is to withhold federal aid allocated to counties that hold criminal aliens in State jails.  Cook county is one of the top ten recipients nationwide receiving $13 million since 2008.

Ranking Democrat Rep. Henry Cuellar is on board:  “They cannot say, you know, we don’t want you to do Secure Communities, but then at the same time they’re requesting federal dollars for holding those prisoners.”

In related news, Morton prepared

Published on 07-12-2012 01:21 PM

Bloggings on I-9 E-Verify Immigration Compliance

Bruce Buchanan

Governor Corbett signs Pennsylvania E-Verify Law

On July 5, 2012, as expected, Governor Tom Corbett signed into law the Public Works Employment Verification Act, which will take effect January 1, 2013. The law which requires public works contractors and subcontractors, on construction projects where the estimated cost ...

Published on 07-12-2012 01:20 PM

Roger Algase

Obama v. Romney in 2012; Johnson v. Goldwater in 1964: Any Similarities?

In my July 11 post, I took a look back some 2,700 years, to the 8th century BC, when many scholars believe that the ancient Greek poet (or poets) who went under the name Homer wrote the Odyssey. This epic, among many other legends which have had such a great influence on the world's cultural heritage, contains the story of Scylla and Charybdis.

In today's comment, I will go back only 48 years, to the 1964 presidential election between Lyndon Johnson and Barry Goldwater. Of course, I was not around to witness Odysseus' men being eaten by a six-headed sea monster, just as we can expect hundreds of thousands of minority immigrants to continue being caught up for each of the next four years in the jaws of Barack Obama's monstrous deportation system, if America steers in the direction of re-electing the president this fall, in order to avoid having most or all of our immigration system swallowed up in Mitt Romney's whirlpool.

Read More Read More

Published on 07-12-2012 01:18 PM

Justice Department Complaint Reveals Electronic I-9 Compliance Failures

by John Fay

Two weeks ago, the Justice Department announced the latest I-9 related law suit against Rose Acre Farms, a major U.S. egg producer headquartered in Indiana. As detailed in our earlier blog on the subject, the Office of Special Counsel for Immigration Related Unfair Employment Practices (OSC) accused Rose Acre of requesting excessive I-9 documentation from newly hired non-U.S. citizens. While the DOJ’s press release was scant on details, the underlying message was all-too-familiar for employers: OSC will vigorously investigate all complaints of unfair immigration related employment practices which occur during the I-9 process. Or put more simply: employers cannot and should not demand specific I-9 documents for review.

But is there more to it than that? During the past couple of years, we’ve seen dozens of OSC settlement agreements with employers who went “too far” in their quest to comply with I-9 verification obligations. In most if not all such cases, the employer made a habit of requesting specific (or additional) documentation from a specific class of workers –as documented by employee manuals, trainings, and interviews with I-9 preparers. In the Rose Acre case, however, we have an entirely different “motivator” (if you will) which appears to have brought this case to light. And ironically, it’s the least human element of all – the company’s electronic I-9 software.

But wait a minute; can an over-zealous electronic I-9 system really get you into trouble, absent intent to discriminate? Read on for a closer look at the Rose Acre complaint and the implications for every employer considering (or already using) electronic I-9 software.

The Facts

At the onset, it’s important to note that all of the facts described below are taken from the OSC’s complaint against Rose Acre, and are “alleged” to be true. Rose Acre may have ...

Published on 07-11-2012 02:54 PM

Real Estate As A Capital Contribution For EB-5

by Joseph Whalen

There is a bit of confusion surrounding real estate in the EB-5 context. Folks are mixing apples and oranges. To be more precise, folks are confusing various EB-5 issues and purposes. Most EB-5 Regional Center (RC) projects involve building, remodeling, or refurbishing some particular property in order to provide a proper place to conduct new ...

Published on 07-11-2012 02:46 PM

Roger Algase

Jul 11, 2012

Put Free Immigration Law Headlines On Your Website

Immigration Daily: the news source for legal professionals. Free! Join 35000+ readers Enter your email address here: