Bloggings on Deportation and Removal

Matthew Kolken

Jul 09, 2012

Published on 07-10-2012 03:17 PM

Bloggings on Immigration Law

Roger Algase

Jul 10, 2012

Published on 07-10-2012 03:16 PM

The Ties That Bind: Can Family Unity Co-Exist With Maintanance Of Lawful Permanent Resident Status?

by Gary Endelman and Cyrus D. Mehta

While many covet lawful permanent resident (LPR) status in the US, popularly known as the green card, since it allows them to freely live and work in the US, it can also become a burden if one remains absent from the US, which can result in the loss of this status. This happened in Lateef v. Holder, where the petitioner, a Pakistani national, argued that despite multiple long absences from the United States, she did not intend to abandon her status, which also served as the foundation for her husband's and child's entry into the United States. The U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit denied the petition for review, holding that intent alone is insufficient to maintain LPR status and that her extended periods in Pakistan, including her final trip that lasted a year and three months, supported the BIA's finding that she had abandoned her LPR status. The court also noted that the petitioner, at the end of a long and exhausting international flight, fearful of losing her LPR status, had lied in one instance to border officials about the date of her last visit to the United States.

Circuit Judge Jane B. Stranch dissented, noting among other things that errors by U.S. immigration officials were responsible for at least some of the delays in her returning, and that the petitioner's daughter in Pakistan had emotional and physical problems that compelled her to spend time in Pakistan to care for her.

The main lesson learned from Lateef v. Holder is that waiting outside the US with your loved ones, ...
    Published on 07-10-2012 03:14 PM

H-1 Visa Issuance Perils

Rajiv Khanna

July 9, 2012

A member of the legal immigrant community had posted this comment this morning

Submitted by Rajnikant on Jul 9th 2012.
    Hi Rajiv, I am Rajnikant I went for visa stamping at Delhi ,India and my case was put under 221(g) administrative processing(Green letter). On April 1st 2011, and after that I submit required document to the VFS center Ahmedabad (document required A DHS latter copy and end client contract latter) on 13th April 2011After that there is no any Reply from US embassy till today its pass more than 14 month from interview and my petition is expired after 15 months so in such type of situation what can be expected from US embassy which type of output we expect from embassy in such type of cases.Plz
    I am sorry Rajnikant, there is not much we can do short ...
    Published on 07-09-2012 04:06 PM

Bloggings on Deferred Action Organizations

Deferred Actions Oranizations Blog

06/27/2012

Published on 07-09-2012 04:03 PM

Bloggings on Immigration Update

Carl Shusterman

Applying For Deferred Action? Proceed With Caution

Are you getting ready to apply for a work permit under the President’s new deferred action policy which will take effect in August? After practicing immigration law for over 35 years, including a few years inside the INS, I advise you to proceed with extreme caution.

Why?

Consider the following:

1) Applying for deferred action requires you to reveal a lot of information about yourself to the government. You name, address, contact information, when and how you entered the U.S., etc. You have to be unlawfully in the U.S. to qualify. In all probability, you have other members of your family who do not qualify for deferred action. Only if you are certain that your parents or other family members will not be targeted for deportation should you apply.

2) Remember that deferred action gives you only a two-year work permit. Then what happens? You don’t get a green card, U.S. citizenship or even necessarily another work permit. What if President Obama is not re-elected? ...

Published on 07-09-2012 04:01 PM

Bloggings on Dysfunctional Government

Angelo Paparelli

July 09, 2012

Published on 07-09-2012 03:58 PM

Bloggings on Immigration Law

Roger Algase

Published on 07-09-2012 03:55 PM

Bloggings on Deferred Action Organizations

Deferred Actions Oranizations Blog

06/27/2012

Put Free Immigration Law Headlines On Your Website

Immigration Daily: the news source for legal professionals. Free! Join 35000+ readers Enter your email address here: