Comment: #KnowNothingTrump
Donald Trump is the ideological progeny of the Know Nothing Party, which was born of resentment to the coming to America of the Irish and German immigrants in 1840s--including perhaps some of Trump's own forefathers. We think that the hashtag #KnowNothingTrump fits Mr. Trump in more ways than one. Please read the excerpts from the Wikipedia article on The Know Nothing Party below and see the similarities for yourself.

The Native American Party, renamed the American Party in 1855 and commonly known as the Know Nothing movement, was an American political party that operated nationally in the mid-1850s.

The movement arose in response to an influx of migrants and promised to "purify" American politics by limiting or ending the influence of Irish Catholics and other immigrants, thus reflecting nativist and anti-Catholic sentiment. It was empowered by popular fears that the country was being overwhelmed by German and Irish Catholic immigrants, whom they saw as hostile to republican values and as being controlled by the Pope. Mainly active from 1854 to 1856, the movement strove to curb immigration and naturalization...

Anti-Catholicism had been a factor in colonial America but played little role in American politics until the arrival of large numbers of Irish and German Catholics in the 1840s. It then reemerged in nativist attacks on Catholic immigration. It appeared in New York politics as early as 1843, under the banner of the American Republican Party. The movement quickly spread to nearby states, using that name or Native American Party or variants of it... the new party was populist and highly democratic, hostile to wealth, elites, and to expertise, and deeply suspicious of outsiders especially Catholics. The new party's voters were concentrated in the rapidly growing industrial towns, where Yankee workers faced direct competition with new Irish immigrants...

In San Francisco, California, a Know Nothing chapter was founded in 1854 to oppose Chinese immigration; members included a judge of the state supreme court, who ruled that no Chinese person could testify as a witness against a white man in court.

Many were appalled by the Know-Nothings. Abraham Lincoln expressed his own disgust with the political party in a private letter to Joshua Speed written in August 24, 1855.

I am not a Know-Nothing - that is certain. How could I be? How can any one who abhors the oppression of negroes, be in favor of degrading classes of white people? Our progress in degeneracy appears to me to be pretty rapid. As a nation, we began by declaring that 'all men are created equal.' We now practically read it 'all men are created equal, except negroes.' When the Know-Nothings get control, it will read 'all men are created equal, except negroes and foreigners and Catholics.' When it comes to that I should prefer emigrating to some country where they make no pretense of loving liberty - to Russia, for instance, where despotism can be taken pure, and without the base alloy of hypocrisy. -- Abraham Lincoln
Here are some quotes from Donald Trump

When Mexico sends its people, they're not sending their best. They're sending people that have lots of problems, and they're bringing those problems with us. They're bringing drugs. They're bringing crime. They're rapists

I will build a great wall - and nobody builds walls better than me, believe me - and I'll build them very inexpensively. I will build a great, great wall on our southern border, and I will make Mexico pay for that wall. Mark my words.

Donald J Trump is calling for a total and complete shutdown of Muslims entering the United States, until our country's representatives can figure out what the hell is going on.

Tweet your comments to @ilwcom on Twitter with the hashtag #KnowNothingTrump.

Article: Waking Up to the Reality of Fascism. By Jeffrey A. Tucker

Article: Court Rejects Government Attempt to Redact Names of Immigration Judges. By Joshua Breisblatt

Article: China 2016: Thoughts Following My Latest Visit to China. By H. Ronald Klasko

Blogging: 22 Mothers in Deportation Jail Launch Indefinite Hunger Strike. By Matthew Kolken

Blogging: Trump Opens Door To Fascism By Calling For US Citizen Guantanamo Trials. By Roger Algase

News: OFLC Posts Foreign Labor Recruiter List

News: USCIS Updates Processing Times Information for the Immigrant Investor Program Office (8/11/16)

News: USCIS Message - Students Applying for Naturalization

Focus: The I-140 / The Degree Equivalency 2016-2017 Edition
ILW.COM is pleased to announce The I-140 / The Degree Equivalency 2016-2017 Edition, coming soon!

Contents: Basic Important Employment-Based Concepts, Basic Overview of the I-140 EBIV Process, The Scope of Agency Authority, The Job Offer, The Immigration Act of 1990,
The EB-11 Extraordinary Ability, The EB-12 Outstanding Professor and Researcher,
The EB-13 Multinational Manager and Executive, The EB-2 Advanced Degree Professional and Person of Exceptional Merit and Ability, The EB-3 Professional, Skilled Worker, And Other Worker
The I-140 Form, The Standard of Evidence, Priority Dates, Filing Multiple Petitions, Successors in Interest, Ability of Prospective Employer to Pay Wage, Portability, Revocation, Invalidation and The Section 204(c) Bar, Withdrawals and Appeals/Motions, A Checklist For Putting Together I-140s (And Some Do's And Don'ts)

For more information see here.

Headline: U.S. needs to keep its promise of visas for Afghans who helped military effort Click here
Headline: Green cards by waiver for thousands who are 'out-of-status' Online Click here
Headline: Residents who marry U.S. citizens must wait 3 years to naturalize - NY Daily News Click here
Headline: New Form I-129s for Intracompany Transferees Required for Blanket Petitions at US Embassies after August 29, 2016 Click here
Headline: Trump pondering 'wet foot, dry foot' policy Click here
Headline: The Real Story Behind Mexican Immigration, and What It Means for the U.S. Economy Click here
Headline: US senator calls for more immigration from Ireland Click here

Help Wanted: Immigration Attorney
Troy, MI - A boutique mid-sized professional services firm is seeking an Immigration Attorney with employment based experience. The firm provides delivery of global, business-based immigration services, servicing clients in a number of industries and for virtually every country in the world. Their clients are mid- to large-tiered corporations, providing them with a single source solution for work and residence permits, visas, and customized immigration analyses. Ideal candidate will have 3+ years of experience with Hs, Ls, PERMs, and E visas. Experience should include consular processing, efficient case handling and client management, and great analytical and writing skills. Please send your resume to veronica@employmentimmigration.com.

Help Wanted: Immigration Paralegal
Troy, MI - A boutique mid-sized professional services firm is seeking an Immigration Paralegal with employment based experience. The firm provides delivery of global, business-based immigration services, servicing clients in a number of industries and for virtually every country in the world. Their clients are mid- to large-tiered corporations, providing them with a single source solution for work and residence permits, visas, and customized immigration analyses. Ideal candidate will have 3+ years of experience in providing support in preparing and filing of petitions and applications with federal government agencies. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to, preparing and drafting routine correspondence and memoranda, researching immigration law and procedures, and case management. Please send your resume to veronica@employmentimmigration.com.

Letters of the Week: Roger Algase

ComingsNGoings: Immigration Event
September 8, 2016, 2 - 3:30pm (Eastern). U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), in coordination with the Department of State's Waiver Review Division, will hold a teleconference regarding the Conrad 30 Waiver Program. This program allows J-1 foreign medical graduates to apply for a waiver for the two-year foreign residence requirement upon completion of their J-1 exchange visitor program. During the first part of this teleconference, USCIS officials will provide an overview of the program, then answer non-case specific questions submitted in advance. for more information and registration instructions see here.

An Important disclaimer! The information provided on this page is not legal advice. Transmission of this information is not intended to create, and receipt by you does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship. Readers must not act upon any information without first seeking advice from a qualified attorney. Copyright 1995-2016 American Immigration LLC, ILW.COM. Send correspondence and articles to editor@ilw.com. Letters and articles may be edited and may be published and otherwise used in any medium. The views expressed in letters and articles do not necessarily represent the views of ILW.COM.
Publisher: Sam Udani ISSN: 1930-062X
Advisory Board: Jason Dzubow, Rami Fakhoury, Matthew Kolken, Chris Musillo, Lory Rosenberg, Greg Siskind, Joel Stewart, Margaret Wong