Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Article: EB-5 and Derivative Rights – What Does Mu v Barr Really Mean? By Joseph Barnett

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Article: EB-5 and Derivative Rights – What Does Mu v Barr Really Mean? By Joseph Barnett

EB-5 and Derivative Rights – What Does Mu v Barr Really Mean?

by

Yesterday, a panel of the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals published a decision in the case Mu v. Barr, which discussed whether EB-5 derivative beneficiaries could seek review of an I-829 petition denial in immigration court. The Board of Immigration Appeals (“BIA”) had previously concluded that only the principal petitioner could seek review of the I-829 denial.

The panel held that the plain language of 8 U.S.C. § 1186b(c)(3)(D)—which provides that “any alien” whose conditional permanent resident status has been terminated after the denial of an I-829 petition may request review of such determination in a removal proceeding—unambiguously establishes that Congress did not intend to limit such review to the principal alien entrepreneur. In administrative law terms, because Congress’ intent was clear when specifically using “any alien” viz-a-viz removal proceedings in the Immigration and Nationality Act, the court did not need to evaluate the term under the second step Chevron deference. The panel concluded that the agency erred in not reviewing the denial of her father’s petition.

The right of conditional green card holder to seek review in immigration court after an I-829 petition denial is incredibly important, as there is no administrative appeal available, and review in front of an immigration judge is the only manner to challenge USCIS’ determination. We are happy to see that the 9th Circuit confirm that EB-5 derivative beneficiaries have standing to challenge an I-829 denial in immigration court. This is consistent with new regulations, effective November 21, 2019, which clarify the filing process for derivatives who are filing a I-829 petition separately from the immigrant investor, in the event the principal applicant fails or refuses to file an I-829 petition.

This post originally appeared on Wolfsdorf Rosenthal. Reprinted with permission.

About The Author

Joseph Barnett is a partner at Wolfsdorf Rosenthal LLP and a member of the firm’s EB-5 and business immigration practices. He is licensed as an attorney in Illinois and Wisconsin and practices exclusively in immigration and nationality law. Mr. Barnett represents immigrant investors seeking permanent residency in the United States through USCIS-designated Regional Centers and investment in their own businesses. Mr. Barnett also assists developers with the establishment of complex corporate and financing structures for EB-5 capital. He works with economists, securities lawyers, business plan writers, and other professionals to prepare Regional Center applications, amendments, and project “exemplar” approvals.

The opinions expressed in this article do not necessarily reflect the opinion of ILW.COM.

Posting comments is disabled.

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs

Twitter feed

Immigrant Nation

Attorney2Attorney

CLE Workshops

Immigration books

Advertise on ILW

EB-5

移民日报

About ILW.COM

Connect to us

Questions/Comments

SUBSCRIBE

Immigration Daily

Categories

Collapse

Latest Articles

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
    Started by ImmigrationDaily, 09-20-2019, 11:22 AM
    0 responses
    0 likes
    Last Post ImmigrationDaily  
    Started by ImmigrationDaily, 09-19-2019, 11:38 AM
    0 responses
    0 likes
    Started by ImmigrationDaily, 09-19-2019, 11:35 AM
    0 responses
    0 likes
    Deleted: Article: From the City to The Hill: EB-5 Dialogue with Congressman Hakeem Jeffries By Christina Dilbone by ImmigrationDaily
    Started by ImmigrationDaily, 09-19-2019, 11:32 AM
    Topic deleted by ImmigrationDaily
    Deleted: Article: From the City to The Hill: EB-5 Dialogue with Congressman Hakeem Jeffries By Christina Dilbone by ImmigrationDaily
    Started by ImmigrationDaily, 09-19-2019, 11:29 AM
    Started by ImmigrationDaily, 09-19-2019, 11:27 AM

Working...
    X