Expansion of Electronic Travel Authorization Program


As readers will be aware, effective March 15, 2016, travellers to Canada from non-visa countries will require an ‘Electronic Travel Authorization’ (eTA). There are some exceptions to this requirement, including US citizens (not permanent residents) and people transiting through Canada. However, for anyone not fitting into one of the exemptions, an eTA will be required. (Please see http://bit.ly/1diawgD for details.)

Last week, the government announced that the eTA program will be expanded to include certain low risk travellers from: Brazil, Bulgaria, Mexico, and Romania. People from these countries otherwise require a visa. To qualify for use of an eTA rather than a visa, an applicant would have had to have held a Canadian visa during the last 10 years, or have a current valid US non-immigrant visa.

Further expansion of the eTA program may be under consideration. We will pass on all relevant information via ImmPulse™ as it becomes available.

The information in this article is for general purposes only, and not intended as legal advice for any particular situation.

This post originally appeared on Kranc Associates.. Reprinted with permission.

About The Author

Benjamin A. Kranc

Benjamin A. Kranc is senior principal of Kranc Associates, a leading Canadian corporate immigration law firm. He has many years of experience assisting clients in connection with Canadian immigration and business issues. Ben is certified by the Law Society of Upper Canada as a Specialist in Immigration Law. He is also on the ‘Who’s Who Legal’ list of foremost practitioners in Canadian corporate immigration, as well as rated as AV Preeminent® in a Martindale-Hubbell peer review. Ben has spoken at numerous conferences, seminars, and information sessions – both for professional organizations and private groups – about issues in Canadian immigration law, and has also taught immigration law at Seneca College in Toronto. In addition, Ben has written extensively. He is the author of a leading text on Canadian immigration law entitled “North American Relocation Law” (Thomson Reuters) and contributing immigration author to the “The Human Resources Advisor” (First Reference Books). Ben can be contacted at (416) 977-7500 ext. 226, or bkranc@kranclaw.com.

The opinions expressed in this article do not necessarily reflect the opinion of ILW.COM.