Blogs on Immigration Law and Policy

by Greg Siskind

Paul Ryan Taking on Rubio's Pro-Immigration Role in the House

As strong as Marco Rubio has been on pushing immigration reform in the Senate, former VP presidential candidate Paul Ryan looks to exceed those efforts in the House, according to this by Benjy Sarlin in Talking Points Memo.

Cato Institute Immigration Program

The Cato folks have posted the video of the program at the Capitol today in which I participated. I talked about sections of the bill I liked that the media hasn't discussed. Alex and Tim, the other panelists talked about the guest worker provisions as well as why immigration reform is important to protecting our homeland security. I was getting over a pretty bad cold so if my voice sounds off a bit, you'll know why.

Texas Notarios Fined Nearly $1 Million in Civil Action

Thanks to my friend Paul Parsons in Austin for sending this. A notario outfit in Texas has been hit with a $1,000,000 judgment based on providing fraudulent immigration services. These types of people have been around for a while and they tend to come out of the woodwork when we get closer to any kind of change in the law. USCIS has taken more of an interest of late in stomping out notario fraud. And there are new provisions in the immigration law aimed at thrwarting the practice. Hopefully, law enforcement agencies around the country will take an interest in stopping notario fraud in the months ahead.

Jeb Bush Discusses Deportation of Housekeeper

22 years ago, Jeb Bush's father was the President, but his status as First Son did not prevent immigration agents from showing up at his family residence and arresting the family's housekeeper who was later deported. Bush cites the deportation as having raised his consciousness about the country's immigration problems. The Washington Post reports on the incident as part of a broader article explaining why Jeb Bush is now one of the Republicans best able to connect with the country's Latino population.

About The Author

http://www.visalaw.com/gregpic2.jpg Greg Siskind is a partner in Siskind Susser's Memphis, Tennessee, office. After graduating magna cum laude from Vanderbilt University, he received his Juris Doctorate from the University of Chicago. Mr. Siskind is a member of AILA, a board member of the Hebrew Immigrant Aid Society, and a member of the ABA, where he serves on the LPM Publishing Board as Marketing Vice Chairman. He is the author of several books, including the J Visa Guidebook and The Lawyer's Guide to Marketing on the Internet. Mr. Siskind practices all areas of immigration law, specializing in immigration matters of the health care and technology industries. He can be reached by email at gsiskind@visalaw.com.

The opinions expressed in this article are those of the author(s) alone and should not be imputed to ILW.COM.
    Posting comments is disabled.