PDA

View Full Version : All I-485 cases are on hold?

01-06-2003, 08:12 PM
I was informed that the California Service Center has received an order from Headquarters to not update any decisions on
I-485 cases.

Does anyone have an idea if this is true? If so why?

Please advice.

01-06-2003, 08:12 PM
I was informed that the California Service Center has received an order from Headquarters to not update any decisions on
I-485 cases.

Does anyone have an idea if this is true? If so why?

Please advice.

01-06-2003, 09:16 PM
probably, but I've just received an appointment for fingerpinting. I filed the documents in July 2002.

01-07-2003, 08:16 AM
I have had my I-485 stage start on Oct 01. I have done my fingerprinting in May of 02. But as of now my case is on Hold.

01-07-2003, 08:23 AM
There will be no I-485 approvals until March 2003 when INS should join DHS.

01-07-2003, 06:38 PM
Guest,

Where can i verify that "There will be no I-485 approvals until March 2003 when INS should join DHS" ???

Please advice.

01-07-2003, 09:18 PM
Guys good news,Check this link-----------

http://www.immigrationportal.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=70577

01-08-2003, 11:57 AM
Updated 01/08/03: Disappointing Texas Service Center Processing Times Report 01/01/2003

As predicted, EB-485 has been at standstill. Besides, other than I-539 and unskilled worker I-140 cases, almost all types of cases remain at standstill. More strikingly, H-1B also remains at standsill.

01-10-2003, 10:39 AM
I am also delayed. i had done my finger printing since May 02 and still have not been able to go beyond the I-485 Stage. Its been very frustrating. I want to visit my family abroad but I don't want to chance it with the current situation.

01-10-2003, 11:00 AM
Did any one recently received I-485 Approval notice filed during Dec 2001 in California Service center. ??
Thanks

01-10-2003, 06:43 PM
I apply for AOS Dec 03 2002. Just got the receipt and appointment for EAD last week of January. Still waiting for AOS appointment or the exact date, they said within 6 months. Oh I file the application in Santa Ana CA.

Thanks

Ariel

01-11-2003, 08:02 PM
INS 485/Citizenship Adjudication Halt Lifted!
see here:-

http://www.immigration-law.com/

01-13-2003, 01:50 PM
This is great news. I will check with My lawyer to see what's going on for my case.

But, I'm Arabic and I am not sure if that will effect the speed at which my papers are proccessd.

01-13-2003, 03:06 PM
It looks like all I-485 are still on hold. Here is the respose from my lawyer:

"At this time, INS offices have frozen all permanent residency cases because they are updating their software to be able to perform FBI security checks. For this reason, they are not making any decisions on I-485 cases"

Let me know if you have any comments about this.

01-13-2003, 03:10 PM
This is old info. We saw several more I-485 approvals in VSC on Rupnet today. INS is working, though pretty slow.

01-14-2003, 12:47 PM
All I-485 filers - please include your data in Rupnet.com!

01-14-2003, 04:08 PM
There are no approvals on Rupnet today!?

01-14-2003, 11:56 PM
http://shusterman.com/ --- Look Up At News Ticker - January 13, 2003

01-14-2003, 11:59 PM
The actual notice:

The word from INS Headquarters this morning is that the agency problems with the FBI are now over, and that is now approving applications for AOS and N cases.

01-16-2003, 08:31 PM
AILA Reports on Adjudications Halt
Some call it a "freeze". Some say "halt". Some refer to a "delay". But it is all the same thing: INS District Offices and Service Centers are not issuing approvals on any adjustment of status applications, and many naturalization and asylum approvals are also being delayed. Indeed, some areas report that people have been pulled from naturalization ceremonies at the last minute. INS Headquarters continues to insist that there is no "adjudications freeze", and indeed cases are still being adjudicated. But where the case is ready for approval, the approvals are not being issued. What is behind this? An 11/13/02 INS memo required that no "benefits" be granted until the INS receives back from the FBI an affirmative response on the G-325A name/date of birth check. Previously, the INS had presumed that if it had not heard back from the FBI within a given period of time that there had been no issue with the check. INS has now indicated that the "benefits" in question are adjustment of status, naturalization and asylum. Ancillary benefits, such as advance parole and work authorization, are not subject to this process. Because there was no automated mechanism in place for FBI to respond to each and every request, an adjustment to INS' CLAIMS system had to be made. AILA has been advised that that system adjustment is largely completed, so that the checks can be made on an ongoing basis. However, there remains a backlog of pending cases on which INS still needs FBI clearances. INS Headquarters indicates that the FBI has sent it tapes covering about half of those cases, but INS local offices are still indicating that they have not been given the clearance to issue approvals on these cases. Posted on AILA InfoNet at Doc. No. 02121152 (Dec. 11, 2002)

01-16-2003, 08:32 PM
Freeze Lifted
INS Headquarters has advised AILA that the problems with the FBI checks have been resolved, and that approvals of adjustment of status and naturalization applications are proceeding. Posted on AILA InfoNet at Doc. No. 03011070 (Jan. 10, 2003)

01-17-2003, 08:17 AM
01/17/03: High Unemployment Rate, 485 Processing Backlog, and INS Request for Evidence of Employment

From the perspective of the INS, the continuing existence of petitioned employment or a new same or similar job as defined in AC 21 is a condition for adjudication of EB-485. When the nation's economy was good and unemployment rate was very low, the INS paid little attention to the evidence of such employment at the time of adjudication of EB-485 even if a substantial period had elapsed since the initial receipt of the EB-485 application. Therefore, people rarely faced RFE from the Service Centers requesting such evidence immediately before they adjudicate EB-485.
Now, the country's economy is really bad, producing massive unemployment. On top of the high unemployment rate, the processing of EB-485 takes much longer than it used be because of the security check, temporary freeze of 485 adjudication, and agency transformation. It appears that the INS is conscious of the problem of unemployment of EB-485 applicants, as exacerbated by the processing delays. Some of the EB-485 applicants may find in the mail RFE requesting such evidence.
Such mail will bring a mixed bag. It should be taken as a good news in that the INS is at least processing and adjudicating EB-485 applications. It is bad news in that such RFE will create another delays. It appears that some of the cases are transferred to the local offices that can verify such evidence at the interview. The situation reminds of the nightmare involving CIA clearance problems one time which created a mountain of EB-485 applications backlog, during which the validity of fingerprint expired (which is good only for 15 months) and the INS had to reschedule and process refingerprinting. This vicious circle created the EB-485 processing times not less than 24 months!
We certainly realize that the INS has a job to do under the law to prevent frauds. However, the situation can be better handled than RFE or transfer, which will further exacerbate the processing backlog problem. The INS may rather revive the earlier practice suggesting the EB-485 applicants to submit such evidence voluntarily and proactively. It will make more sense under the circumstances. Additionally, it will disappoint the EB-485 waiters less who had to endure the pain of the recent adjudication freeze or halt and are currently in full of expectation that their cases be adjudicated soon!

01-18-2003, 06:22 PM
The initial theory of Special Registration appears simple - lets know the who/when/where of immigrants, so we can find the bad guys among them when our intelligence tells us who the bad guys are. By the addition today of Bangladesh, Egypt, Indonesia, Jordan, and Kuwait to the ever-lengthening list of countries, Special Registration takes what we believe is one step further towards General Registration.

01-22-2003, 02:07 AM
Has anyone heard of a I-485 Adjustmanet of statu in the CSC (California Service Center)?

I have been checking Rupnet.com everyday since the begaining of 2003 and I haven't see a single case go through yet.

Please let me if you know of any I-485 case approved in CSC.

01-27-2003, 12:47 AM
Do you know of anyone who recently completed the I-485 stage in California. Is the CSC moving or is halted?

01-27-2003, 08:21 AM
DHS Scheduled to Start Immigration Services on March 1, 2003

The Secretary of DHS announced that the DHS would start the immigration adjudications and services function on March 1, 2003. Pending the transition, the adjudications of nonimmigrant and immigrant cases at the field offices have remained de fact halt or at snail pace. Despite the INS HQ announcement that I-485 freeze had been lifted, the Service Centers' processing times reports reflect that EB-485 remains at halt except a handful of cases that have been transferred to the local district offices. Additionally, for an unknown reasons, the Service Centers have been adjudicating non-skilled workers cases for both I-140 (EB-3GW) petitions and I-129 nonimmigrant petitions (such as H-2A and H-2B) and the immigrant and nonimmigrant petitions for professional occupations such as I-140 in EB-1, EB-2, EB-31 and I-129 (H-1B) show a snail-pace of adjudications.
There is no confirmed information about the sources of this continuing freeze or halt or snail-pace adjudication of certain types of cases, but it is obvious that certain types of cases, especially I-485, I-129 H-1B, I-140, will not move ahead in a speed which the immigrant community wants to see pending the transition. Apparently, such dragnet is not limited to the Service Centers. Reportedly, the on-going special registrations take away a substantial amount of the local INS district offices' adjudication resources, and probably until the special registration is over on March 28, 2003, the adjudication at the local district offices is also expected to experience a substantial slow-down.
One good news is looming up, though. Unconfirmed sources indicate that the family-based I-130/I-485 and naturalization cases will be taken away from the local district offices to the Missouri Service Center as early as June 2003. Currently these cases are filed at the local INS district offices. Once this change takes place, the local district offices' function may be restricted to interview and fingerprinting when it comes to the immigration services function. The nationalization of processing of the family-based green card applications and naturalization applications will at least remove a long line of people on the ground of the government buildings in the dawn and in the cold and in the heat.

01-29-2003, 08:54 AM
The California Service Center (CSC) is currently giving priority to the adjudication of I-765 applications filed by TPS applicants from El Salvador. At the current time, Divisions III, IV and V are using the majority of their resources to adjudicate these cases prior to the March 9, 2003 deadline. However, we can see a lot of I-485 approvals in VSC these days.

01-29-2003, 09:35 PM
Good News. I have been monitoring Rupnet.com and I have been seeing an increased number of approvals. However, non of the approvals cam from California Service Center.

I Wish the very best luck for all of us.

01-31-2003, 01:38 PM
Today 1/31/03 FIVE cases were approved from Vermont and FOUR cases were approved in Nebraska.

California is Still ZERO approvals.

Please let us know if you know other wise.

02-04-2003, 03:32 PM
13 more cases were approved today 2/4/03.

None of them were from CSC.

Still waiting.

Let me know if you hear other wise.

02-06-2003, 05:52 PM
I wish i could throw the damd thing away. I just don't have one.

Umesh Passi, If you get this please help.

I have seen many entries which say that the hold has been removed for I485 & AOS. But I talked with my lawyer today and she said that she had not had any cases approved for a while. the INS officers are not really doing what they are supposed to do. They are focusisng on Special Registration so they have no bandwidth to work on AOS cases.

Plesae let me know if you know for sure that the hold has been lifted.

02-07-2003, 09:42 AM
Good luck people, I have just talked with INS and they informed the all I 485 are on hold until further notice. So all the talk about the Freeze being lifted is BS.

A Pissed off immigrant.

02-07-2003, 05:56 PM
You gonna love this one (N-O-O-O-O-T):

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/01/31/national/31FILE.html?ei=5062&en=37617f7981fb7694&ex=1044680400&partner=GOOGLE&pagewanted=print&position=top

02-10-2003, 08:55 PM
I am starting to get upset with the waiting time.
My 485 RD = July 26, 2001 and I have not even received the fingerprint appointment yet (Texas Service Center). Does anyone knows if this is normal? I noticed that " s_90" RD was a month after mine and his 485 was approved already.

Please advise

02-12-2003, 02:41 PM
Guest,
I don't think its normal. but what is, these days. It ***** that we all have to play this waiting game. have you checked you case status online? They are moving I think. snail pace.

02-16-2003, 09:11 AM
The Texas Processing Time for 485 still 11/1/2000. That is why they have not processed my case yet. I don't understand why other service centers, as California, is current and Texas is about 3 years late! I wonder how long until I get the fingerprints appointment.

02-25-2003, 07:26 PM
Here are the number of aprovals for each service center this year 2003.

1- NSC (Nebraska Service Center) : 160
2- VSC (Vermont Service Center) : 162
3- CSC (California Service Center): 5
4- TSC (Texas Service Center) : 1

if your case is being processed in CA or Texas....Tough luck...

06-11-2003, 01:47 AM
Does anyone know if the Freeze has been lifted on the 485 cases? I thought once INS becames BCIS cases will move faster. but it looks like nothing is moving. i see cases aproved from all servie centers except CSC and Texas servie Center.

i am very tired with all this waiting. Please let me know if you have any new about the hold taken off for the 485 cases.

06-17-2003, 06:57 PM
I am also waiting, and watching how nothing is moving. My priority date is 12-14-02... feels so close, and yet so far!
what is your priority date? I wonder if there is anything that can be done...